Hand reared kitten - not pooping

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I foster for Cats Protection and had a 75g, 5 day old kitten bought to be yesterday at 11pm. She has been feeding between 1.5ml and 3ml and peeing before or after every meal. I am yet to get her to poop. Is there anything I can do to help her? She had a vet check yesterday and she is healthy considering her size.
Back story as far as we have been told -
Almond was born with 3 siblings 5 days ago. 2 were still born and mum had an infection and no milk. Almond and her sibling was taken on by their grandma(Milly) who had a 4 week old kitten, Peanut. Almonds sibling unfortunately passed a couple of days ago. Milly, Peanut and Almond came to me yesterday but I realised Milly had not much milk and Almond was only 75g and very irritable/crying non stop. I got them vet checked and the vet confirmed Milly didn't have enough milk and to top up Almond. As soon as I started feeding her Milly rejected her by leaving her screaming in the litter tray and grumbling at her. I tried to get them to settle but in the end took over care 24/7. She is now 79g and feeding well, peeing well just no poop!

Any suggestions welcome, thankyou!

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried stimulating her with a paper towel that is wet with warm water? Just take a bowl of warm water, wrap a paper towel around a finger, dip it in the water and make a gentle "momma tongue licking motion" on her butt.
Mother cats usually lick their babies privates to get them to pee and poop until they are able to handle doing it by themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for your reply. I have yes, I use cotton wool with warm water anyway but have tried soft tissue wet or dry also. No change. Her belly is full but not hard or overly massive.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add a couple of drops of olive oil to each feeding. It should help to soften the stool. You can also use a glycerin suppository, shave off a tiny piece, and insert it. This will usually bring on a poop within 20-30 minutes.

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou all for your help, I tried olive oil but with no luck ended up going the vets and they gave us lactulose. It's got her moving slowly and she is not more regular at 2-3 times a day.
She is now 2 weeks old and growing so quickly!
Today she has been really fussy, she was woken up for her feed she didn't have much but pooped, tried to feed again, no luck. Tried to put her back to bed, cried and wiggled constantly, held her, cried, warmed her teddy up again, cried. I eventually got her to sleep by turning the radio off and holding her against my belly. I assumed the radio was suddenly too loud for her if her ears are starting to open. This evening she has been the same, this time she ate 4ml but wouldn't settle, cried and did all she could to escape her bed, our hands etc. It took about half an hour to finally get her to sleep with me laying down and he laying on my belly covered by a blanket. I'm not sure if she's feeling abit offside? Will keep an eye on her.
At first I thought maybe she was bored and starting to want to play a little but anything we tried she rejected by crying. It wasn't a scream cry, more of a winge like she's uncomfortable or something. Is this normal at 2 weeks? I've never had a hand rear without a mum, I usually do the feeding and toileting and he mum does the rest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have gas from the lactulose. You might try adding a few drops of infant simethicone to each feeding and see if this helps.

Abigailfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn't had lactulose since Tuesday so I don't think it'd be that, I could be wrong! Her stomach is alot less bloated since she's going more regular

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think its your beating heart that is the thing that finally calms her, try a muffled ticking clock (wrap a towel around it) or heartbeat toy.