Hand Raised Kitten

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have never had cats until I got my first kitten in June. No one knew about these kittens that were found in a barn about 5 days after they found their mother dead in the road. They were less than 2 weeks old and near death. A fellow church member took them in and bottle fed them until she gave them to new homes (at about 6 weeks). I took "Kiki" who I named for her constant chatter and into everything personality. I was told she was hard to contain and aggressive so would do best as an outside cat. I really didn''t listen and took her home as an inside cat thinking she would adjust. It is also way too dangerous where I live to let an animal out and about. She began to "climb" me frequently and bite me. I just thought I was her playmate. I had huge, deep scrtaches as well as bite marks. My doctor was not happy. I sought advice from friends who have cats and they told me that she needed another one to play with. So, I got Lovey who is 4 days younger. We originally thought that Lovey might be "slow" as she is so stoic and laid back. Apparently after the vet visit yesterday, that is not the case. I was told that Lovey is the normal behavior kitten at 11 weeks and Kiki , also 11 weeks, is "going to be trouble the rest of her life" for me". Stating "Hand raised kittens are trouble and too domineering". The vet also compared A hand raised kitten to a male lama who is hand raised and has to be put down. I left there in tears. Kiki is smart as a whip, comes when I call her and I really love her. I have a 3 tier pen to put her in when I need a break or for example when I take my shower. The reason for that is that she actually crawled up my shower curtain at 10 weeks and stood on the rod looking down at me. The noise and then her face scared me to death which I can laugh about now. I joined this forum seeking advice and support reagrding Kiki and also Lovey. I also want her to be safe and happy. I do pick her up and take her elsewhere when Kiki is too aggressive with her and she actually growls. Thanks so much! Kat

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

That whole bottle feed babies are trouble is nonsense. So get that negativity right out of your head. The vet is twisting the truth of the matter which is that bottle feed babies weren't taught manners by Mom. That's all it is, bad manners. It sounds like Kiki is a lovely hyper curious kitten, nothing extreme about it.

Getting a second cat can help with cat manners because the other cat will help her learn boundaries. You can also help her learn boundaries. From now on the moment you feel tooth or claw you need to become a bad actor and very dramatically react. Like horribly dramatic you are dying with the slightest touch. Or just give a sharp and hard No! Whichever makes you happy. The point though is the second you feel tooth or claw Kiki, and Lovey, need to know that it hurts you. Even if they haven't hurt you yet, they need to think humans have delicate paper skin. After shocking them with a sudden no you absolutely ignore them for a ten count then act like nothing happened. Repeat as needed or get up and walk away if they don't get the hint.

Do this every single time and in a week or two you will see drastic reduction in bad manners. Do it when they try to climb or scratch in play, every single time. I did it will mine and I have honestly not been scratched except when someone is startled in three years.

Some cats, like Kiki, have more energy. Some cats, like Lovey, are more laid back. Bottle feeding will make a cat have less hesitation with humans and miss out on manners, but it doesn't make them trouble. It just makes them like humans more which isn't a bad thing. My mom's boy is a bottle baby and he is an absolute love. Kiki sounds like a bright spirit who just needs a little direction and I have faith that you can give her that.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking in these two beautiful kittens. I don't have much to add to Kieka's excellent advice, but agree completely that you shouldn't give up on them, and that all they need is a little training and a lot of love. I'd also suggest finding a new vet!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I second Kieka Kieka ’s “nonsense”. Some kittens are just high energy get into everything, whether they are hand raised or not. They may be like that all of their lives or they may settle down when they are older , you can’t tell while they are kittens. But in any case, they can learn house rules and manners and become wonderful pets. It is just that just may take more patience and persistence to get them there.

As far as the scratches, these little ones need their claws trimmed so they aren’t tiny daggers. Your vet can do it or you can do it yourself while they are sleepy or sleeping. If you choose to do it do some web reading on how to before attempting. When they are tiny you don’t need special equipment. A nail clipper will work fine.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have wonderful advise here. The only thing I would add is to let Lovey and Kiki work it out. Lovey growling is a good thing because she is telling Kiki "I don't like that". Lovey will teach Kiki some of the lessons she's already learned. Since they are close in size/age it's unlikely they will hurt each other even by accident. As they get older they will play rougher and it might scare you. As long as both are still going back to play and not hiding or stressed they are having fun.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have wonderful advise here. The only thing I would add is to let Lovey and Kiki work it out. Lovey growling is a good thing because she is telling Kiki "I don't like that". Lovey will teach Kiki some of the lessons she's already learned. Since they are close in size/age it's unlikely they will hurt each other even by accident. As they get older they will play rougher and it might scare you. As long as both are still going back to play and not hiding or stressed they are having fun.
:yeah:

Don't worry if they do get a size difference either. My boy has always been nearly twice the size of my girl. She was a one pound kitten to his 8 pound year old self when they met. They wrestled, played and chased each other without injury. Even now at 7.5 and 14.5 pounds they don't hurt each other and my boy backs down if his sister hisses at him because she will beat him up if he doesn't.

View media item 420658

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

That whole bottle feed babies are trouble is nonsense. So get that negativity right out of your head. The vet is twisting the truth of the matter which is that bottle feed babies weren't taught manners by Mom. That's all it is, bad manners. It sounds like Kiki is a lovely hyper curious kitten, nothing extreme about it.

Getting a second cat can help with cat manners because the other cat will help her learn boundaries. You can also help her learn boundaries. From now on the moment you feel tooth or claw you need to become a bad actor and very dramatically react. Like horribly dramatic you are dying with the slightest touch. Or just give a sharp and hard No! Whichever makes you happy. The point though is the second you feel tooth or claw Kiki, and Lovey, need to know that it hurts you. Even if they haven't hurt you yet, they need to think humans have delicate paper skin. After shocking them with a sudden no you absolutely ignore them for a ten count then act like nothing happened. Repeat as needed or get up and walk away if they don't get the hint.

Do this every single time and in a week or two you will see drastic reduction in bad manners. Do it when they try to climb or scratch in play, every single time. I did it will mine and I have honestly not been scratched except when someone is startled in three years.

Some cats, like Kiki, have more energy. Some cats, like Lovey, are more laid back. Bottle feeding will make a cat have less hesitation with humans and miss out on manners, but it doesn't make them trouble. It just makes them like humans more which isn't a bad thing. My mom's boy is a bottle baby and he is an absolute love. Kiki sounds like a bright spirit who just needs a little direction and I have faith that you can give her that.
Thank you!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of my cats were hand raised. The two I have now were hand raised. Kieka Kieka gives excellent advise. I would add to get a cat tree. Whenever you feel a claw or tooth, say "NO" and them put them on the cat tree. I start this at a young age and none of my cats claw furniture (or me anymore). My one kitten used to leave me bloody. But with patience and consistency, she is now a super cuddle bug.
Don't listen to the nonsense that hand raised kittens will be like that their entire life. She's still a kitten, and kittens will be kittens.

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking in these two beautiful kittens. I don't have much to add to Kieka's excellent advice, but agree completely that you shouldn't give up on them, and that all they need is a little training and a lot of love. I'd also suggest finding a new vet!
Thank you!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second Kieka Kieka ’s “nonsense”. Some kittens are just high energy get into everything, whether they are hand raised or not. They may be like that all of their lives or they may settle down when they are older , you can’t tell while they are kittens. But in any case, they can learn house rules and manners and become wonderful pets. It is just that just may take more patience and persistence to get them there.

As far as the scratches, these little ones need their claws trimmed so they aren’t tiny daggers. Your vet can do it or you can do it yourself while they are sleepy or sleeping. If you choose to do it do some web reading on how to before attempting. When they are tiny you don’t need special equipment. A nail clipper will work fine.
Thank you!

NicknTish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my boy Nicodemus at 8 days old after he was rejected by his mom. The vet told me the same things he will be a monster, bitey, mean. They had me so scared! But all the advice everyone here has given you is right. You just need to be patient and consistent. She will calm down! Good luck!!!!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my boy Nicodemus at 8 days old after he was rejected by his mom. The vet told me the same things he will be a monster, bitey, mean. They had me so scared! But all the advice everyone here has given you is right. You just need to be patient and consistent. She will calm down! Good luck!!!!
Thank you so very much!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The advice I have read about cats wanting to play with your feet or hands: Do what a mama cat would do -- lift the cat by the scruff of the neck until it's front paws are off the ground, then hiss at the cat. Then release the cat and go about your business.

Thank you for rescuing the cats!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The advice I have read about cats wanting to play with your feet or hands: Do what a mama cat would do -- lift the cat by the scruff of the neck until it's front paws are off the ground, then hiss at the cat. Then release the cat and go about your business.

Thank you for rescuing the cats!
Thank you very much!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Kieka. That whole bottle baby thing can be a myth. I raised a litter and my other cats stepped up and taught them manners. Meanwhile my hyper punk was insane as a kitten/teen and he was nursed by his mom until he was 6 weeks old or so!

I did the acting route. I would wail "ooooowwwwwww" then I would staunchly ignore my punk for 10-20 minutes. Also my punk is so crazy hyper that he looses control when he plays...... so all play with him is tossing toys away from me or with wand toys. When they climb you (as they all try at least once at that age) I scruff them while saying no, pry them off my leg, place them on the ground, release their scruff and ignore for 15-30 minutes.

Part of it is that they are crazy toddlers/preschoolers who don't know the rules, their strength or mind their manners. Part of it is the bottle baby was not taught no or "ow that hurts!" By their mom. Part of it is just that you have a hyper cat.

I would save yourself a world of trouble and start harness training your hyper kitten or give them catio. My hyper punk watching birds in the backyard in the afternoon is a life saver!!!!

KatMellott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Kieka. That whole bottle baby thing can be a myth. I raised a litter and my other cats stepped up and taught them manners. Meanwhile my hyper punk was insane as a kitten/teen and he was nursed by his mom until he was 6 weeks old or so!

I did the acting route. I would wail "ooooowwwwwww" then I would staunchly ignore my punk for 10-20 minutes. Also my punk is so crazy hyper that he looses control when he plays...... so all play with him is tossing toys away from me or with wand toys. When they climb you (as they all try at least once at that age) I scruff them while saying no, pry them off my leg, place them on the ground, release their scruff and ignore for 15-30 minutes.

Part of it is that they are crazy toddlers/preschoolers who don't know the rules, their strength or mind their manners. Part of it is the bottle baby was not taught no or "ow that hurts!" By their mom. Part of it is just that you have a hyper cat.

I would save yourself a world of trouble and start harness training your hyper kitten or give them catio. My hyper punk watching birds in the backyard in the afternoon is a life saver!!!!
Thank you! I don’t have other older cats so there is no one to teach her manners other than Lovey who is 4 days younger (both kittens). What is catio? Also, harness training?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can google catio window boxes. Basically they are mesh/wire boxes that allow a cat free accesss outside while keeping them safe. They also sell or you can make larger catios so the cats can be outside, running, playing, climbing while other animals can't come in/they can't get out. Or you could get a cat door plus have a purfect fence installed. It has a ?45? Degree angle slant on top so cats can't climb or jump it. I would give you the links but I'm on my phone.

Harness training is where you train your cats to wear the harness, then train them to let you follow them around on a leash. Also they sell harness vests that are supposed to make harness training easier.