Hand attacking

Zanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so I have a 10 month old kitten who still, though not as often as he use to, still attacks my hand on occasion. As much as I want to show him off to my parent, it’s this main point that has prevented me from doing so.

Ive tried no, which causes him to hesitate for a moment or two before doing it anyway and I had read that with foot attacking (which still happens but at a lesser rathe) to move the foot in the direction of the attack, which I have tried too with what it feels is some success but he will sometimes go back for more. I know I should get a kicking toy but is this the solution I need to break him of it? Time out in this room doesn’t seem to help, or at least not that I can tell. Or will he eventually break this habit as he ages past 1y. Doesn’t help that my elder cat won’t play with him so she can teach him the limits of play.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It should still hopefully be possible to teach your kitten that attacking your hand hurts. Of course, it would be helpful if your older cat was up to the job, but since she isn't, you have to take on that role of mama cat now. Here's a TCS article on How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

As well an article from the Human Society: Teach your kitten how to play nice

Their article does mention keeping a water spray bottle handy, however, TCS is not an advocate for that type of training and actually has an article with 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – TheCatSite Articles

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens that were separated from their mothers at a young age with attack their owners hands sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went ahead and bought a Kickaroo to keep near me and let him play with too. If he tries to attack my hand I’ll have it close to toss for play instea. Hopefully he’ll forget about the hand...or associated attacking the hand with the to...

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a kitten thinks its fun to attack his human's hands, fix things so that the kitten doesn't have any fun when he does it.

If you're playing with him, give him three chances to behave. Say "ouch" or "no" or whatever you think it appropriate and stop playing with him for a minute. If he gets to "three strikes" just stop playing with him. Ignore him. Go some place else.

It might take him a few tries but he should eventually learn that "When my human says 'no' and I don't listen, my fun time ends."

Getting a kicker toy might also help redirect his energy some place less harmful. :)

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got Neko-chan to stop by yelping in a high pitched voice of going "sssssss" every time she went for my hands of feet. Now she just licks them.