Hampton the feral cat returns after 8 months of being gone

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in utter shock.  Hampton, one of my ferals from last year returned the other night.  It had been exactly 8 months to the day since his departure.  I did TNR on him in Aug of 2014.  It was very difficult for him.  He had a hard time being in the trap overnight after the neuter.  Once I released him, he never came back.  I was so sad.  He had been with me for 6 months.  I had been working on getting to know him, but he was so feral that I only caught glimpses of him.  I placed one of my surveillance cameras under the deck so I knew when he arrived each day.  He only allowed me to truly see him a few times.  He did have a relationship with one of my ferals, Shadow. 

I had decided last week that it was time to say good bye to Hampton.  I purchased a memorial plaque to place in the garden next to one I had for Patches.  The plaque arrived earlier in the week  an on Wednesday I went out and had a short memorial service for him.  I then went inside and looked at all the pictures I had saved of him through the surveillance camera footage.  I felt a pang of guilt and sadness for him.  I some how felt I had failed him.  That very evening I heard some commotion on the deck.  Shadow and Stellar were both peering under the deck.  I could see eye balls shining, but I could not tell who/what it was.  I was certain it was the stray, Cisco I had been caring for since just after Hampton left.  I took some food out and placed it near an opening under the deck.  The cat ate, but I could not see it.  I thought it was strange that Cisco would not come up on the deck.  After awhile the cat was still there and I knew I had to see who/what it was.  I took one of the cameras and stuck it under the deck and then placed some food very near.  As soon as I was in the house, the cat appeared.  I immediately knew it was Hampton, sporting his ear tip!!  I think he came to tell me that the memorial service and plaque were no longer needed!!!

How he survived the bitter cold winter is beyond me.  It was so cold.  He arrived looking normal weight, but he is starving.  The past two nights he has eaten 3, 5.5 oz containers of wet food.  He never cared for dry food and still wouldn't touch it. 

I am so stunned that after 8 months he returned.  Who knows how long he will stick around.  At least he is neutered!!!

Welcome home Hampton!!!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's an amazing story!!!!  
  How wonderful, I can't imagine how relieved and happy you must be.  The guy's a survivor, isn't he! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The saga continues...  Cisco appeared shortly after Hampton left last August.  He stayed and I did TNR on him in October.  He continued to come until mid January.  At that time it was bitter cold and snowy.  He would not come to eat at all.  He did appear occasionally during the night and would then sleep in one of the shelters under the deck.  In February he was here once or twice and the same in March.  The last time I saw him was early March. 

Cisco appeared last night about an hour after Hampton left.  He too was hungry and just wanted to eat.  Not sure he is is just passing by or he too wants to come back.

It's like old home week at my house!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's amazing. I love these kind of stories, it gives me hope for all the missing cats out there.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: It's so good to hear your boys have come home - even if it's just a visit to let you know they're ok. I can't imagine what a relief it must have been to see Hampton after so long. I really hope they both stick around this time :vibes:

Last edited:

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
let's hear it for the pro!

thanks shadowsrescue  for such a detailed

description of a day in the life of an experienced cat guardian/TNR aficionado.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news. Hampton looks like he's been well-fed these past 8 months, wherever he's been. He likely has another caretaker somewhere, which is comforting to know. I have a feeling that many of our ferals who disappear for days, weeks, or longer at a time lead double lives with different humans caring for them. I don't know how else they could survive, especially in the winter. I hope Hampton sticks around. He is probably laughing at that memorial marker.  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe I'm just seeing this!  Such good news.  I sure hope they stick around - or at least visit more often so you won't worry so much.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so relieved to have them both safe.  Hampton has been here each day for a week now and he surprised me by showing up this morning.  I think he stayed under the deck almost all of last night.  I got a really good luck at him this morning and he looks the same as last year.  Poor thing is just so scared of the world. 

Cisco did not come last night, but I am not surprised.  He may have just been stopping by to say hello. 

We will see how it all unfolds as time goes by.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure at all what the Universe is trying to say to me, but I now have a stray cat in my guest room.  My neighbors called me yesterday and there was a small cat on their driveway.  It didn't seem quite right.  I went over and the cat was a sneezing, goopy eyed mess.  It was a tortie so I suspected female.  She just walked in circles.  She was skin and bones too.  One of my other neighbors had seen her about 2 weeks ago under my deck.  So she has been around.  She wouldn't eat ( probably couldn't smell the food).  My neighbors didn't want to do anything with her.  I couldn't leave her.  So I grabbed my carrier and took her to my spare room.

I examined her and took a few pictures and posted them on our neighborhood website and also checked our area Pet FBI.  Nothing.  She is so sweet and loving, but could hardly see with her gooped up eyed.  I called my vet and they got me right in.  Good news is that she is spayed.  Bad news no microchip.  She has the herpes upper respiratory virus and weighs under 6 lbs.  I have her recooperating in my guest room.  She is nervous and just paces and paces.  I have oral medicine to give as well as eye drops.  I also had her wormed and checked for FIV and FelK.  Hopefully the eye drops won't be too traumatic.

I have no idea what I will do with her.  This is my first female.  I have only had males.  I feel as though the Inn is full and I am running out of steam.  I have asked some neighbors if they are interested, but nothing so far.  The rescue groups and humane society are full as usual. 

First step is to get her well. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, get her well. That is the first step. After that things will fall into place, but for now you're her saviour.

I'm glad she found her way to you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little girl. At least she's in good hands now. I hope she gets well soon. The right home for her will appear when she's ready for it. In the meantime, she's lucky to have found her way to you.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is so sweet.  My former neighbors said they would discuss adopting her.  But I bet they say no.  She is so fragile right now.  My DH loves her and she loves him.  He of course wants to name her.  I told him if he name her, we keep her!!  We will see what happens.  My two indoor boys are behaving very well.  They know she is upstairs.  I have found them sitting near the door.  Hopefully everything will fall into place!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

She is so sweet.  My former neighbors said they would discuss adopting her.  But I bet they say no.  She is so fragile right now.  My DH loves her and she loves him.  He of course wants to name her.  I told him if he name her, we keep her!!  We will see what happens.  My two indoor boys are behaving very well.  They know she is upstairs.  I have found them sitting near the door.  Hopefully everything will fall into place!!
You know, you could do with a little more female energy in the house.....just to balance things out.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

You know, you could do with a little more female energy in the house.....just to balance things out.

Absolutely!  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's what I thought.  Way too much testosterone in this house!  The only females are myself and my female dog.  I have 5 male (sometimes 6) cats and the DH and DS (when he is home from college).  So I do need some female energy.

I have had to syringe feed her 3x.  She is doing well with it.  Just now I did see her lap up a bit of what was left in the bowl.  So hopefully that is progress.  Yet, she has only peed once. 

I think she may be staying.  She has a name!!!  Sadie.  We will see how it turns out.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you're going to keep her. You rescued her, and now that you're caring for her and nursing her back to health, you're bonding with her. I, too, have only one female (feral) cat who I rescued two summers ago when my "inn was full." She still doesn't like to be touched, she fusses with the boy cats, and the boys kind of bully her at times and don't allow her to go downstairs. She's got a crooked leg and walks with a gait, and has all sorts of odd mannerisms. Still, she's my little princess, and I love her to death. Every cat household ought to have a little princess kitty, lol.

There has been such an increase in cat "dumps" the past few years. I believe part of the reason is that shelters are normally full, and even when not, the Humane Societies in my area charge 25 dollars to relinquish a pet and 40 dollars to have an ill or elderly pet euthanized (it was 20 dollars just a year ago). The owner of your little princess kitty likely felt they couldn't afford to take her to the vet when she got sick, and maybe couldn't pay the fee to have her relinquished or euthanized. Vet visits generally run a few hundred dollars or more for a sick cat. The only way to relinquish a pet to a shelter without being turned away because they're full or charged a fee is to tell them the cat is a stray. Most people don't know this. It's a terrible, terrible situation for pet owners and the poor cats. God bless everyone who takes these little creatures in and cares for them.