Hamburgers

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so craving a hamburger! We don't have any really good hamburger places in The City though! There is one place that everyone I know raves about, but I've tried it a couple of times and it wasn't that good IMHO.

So I bought some ground beef and am going to grill burgers (indoor grill) for dinner tonight. Topped off with lettuce, tomatoes, relish, mustard and pickles. No ketchup. I only use ketchup on french fries. And no cheese because of my lactose intolerance.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so hungry for a good hamburger too. Make me one with lettuce tomato onion and mayo. Then tell me what time to come over.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good hamburger sounds great right about now! A lot of people in our area grill out in the warmer months around here so I've learned a few fun tricks- one egg mixed in with your burger meat/etc will help the meat stick together and not crumble off. Another fun tip I learned from my oldest brother- in- law. Bubba mixes in crushed Hot & Spicy Cheez-Its and minced bell peppers & onion in with his hamburger meat; while it sounds a little weird, it is SOOO good (and not too hot eithor)!

Linda, now you have me craving a burger!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can usually buy the pre formed hamburger patties in different weights. I've grilled them indoors in my panini maker! But the best is on the wood fire outside.

I'm sure it will be a while for this chain to make it to Canada but Five Guys is awesome! You pay a bit more but its fresh not frozen patties.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently the manager of a gourmet burger place here in NZ. We use wholemeal buns, fresh beef patties and freshly cut chicken breasts, fresh handmade salads and the majority of our ingredients are from NZ.. we handwhip our avocado and all our sauces are made at a central kitchen. Good burgers are delicious! I eat a burger a day!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat those but my DH loves mushrooms, red onion, swiss, and guac on his.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my dad's recipe for Awesome Burgers of Deliciousness- give it a try next time you're wanting burgers, if you like!

1lb ground beef (80/20 if possible, you want it to be nice and juicy!)
1 packet of Lipton's onion soup mix
1 small can of mushrooms
1 egg, raw

Put it all in a bowl, mix it up with your hands, make patties, grill- and ENJOY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangeishcat

This is my dad's recipe for Awesome Burgers of Deliciousness- give it a try next time you're wanting burgers, if you like!

1lb ground beef (80/20 if possible, you want it to be nice and juicy!)
1 packet of Lipton's onion soup mix
1 small can of mushrooms
1 egg, raw

Put it all in a bowl, mix it up with your hands, make patties, grill- and ENJOY!
My brother always adds onion soup mix to ground beef. I find it a tad salty for my taste. Because of my high blood pressure I have to limit my salt intake or I swell up like a balloon. I tend to put switch up my mixture. My standard ingredients are:

ground beed
1 egg yolk for each pound of beef (binds without the rubbery quality of the egg white)
course ground black pepper
minced onion
crushed garlic to taste
salt to taste
worchestershire sauce
quick cook oatmeal (the kind that takes 5 minutes or so to cook)

From there I add different things depending on my mood. Some things I've added either alone or in combinations:

- minced green pepper
- white horse raddish
- dijon mustard
- celery seed
- raw bacon, minced
- liquid smoke
- ketchup
- thyme
- oregano
- rosemary
- BBQ spice
- milk

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can no longer have burgers unless I make them myself or am standing over the person making them. Worcestershire sauce or the aforementioned lipton onion soup mix, or even that being cooked on the same surface as my food, can send me to the ER.
If I can find some gluten free buns, or make them myself, and control the ingredients it's safe.

I do often make onion patties, though. There's a small restaurant in Oklahoma that's famous for their burgers. All they do is finely dice onions and press/cook them into one side of the burger.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a pretty good chain of burger places here in the Metroplex, called "Kincaids." Long history and family ownership.

Kincaid's Hamburgers

But they are currently building a number of In-n-Out Burger places here. That place has a reputation for some of the best burgers in the country.

And, of course, there's Fuddrucker's, although we don't have one close to us.

Or Margaritaville. None of those close, either.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I had my burger. It was good, but didn't live up to my high expectations. I guess they don't call it a craving for nothing!
The craving is often more powerful than the satisfaction received from caving into that craving!

There is a place opening not far from where I live which I thought was going to be a burger place called "Burger Barn" or "Burger Bar." Unfortunately I misread the sign. It's actually "Unburger" something,

So I guess they will be serving up sandwiches or something.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a craving last week so went out, bought the meat and a nice fresh bun and have to save the burger satisfied my craving beautifully.

I don't eat burgers unless I make them myself. I like to know what is in the burger.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yum! I love a good burger! Especially stuffed with mushrooms and blue cheese!!

My favorite place to get a burger out has been Fuddruckers! We don't have on here unfortunately; but the few times I've been there it has always been good. Not to thick, not too thin, tasty and you can add your toppings yourself! We neeeed one by me. That and a Panera Bread or an Atlanta Bread Co.! YUM!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yum! I love a good burger! Especially stuffed with mushrooms and blue cheese!!

My favorite place to get a burger out has been Fuddruckers! We don't have on here unfortunately; but the few times I've been there it has always been good. Not to thick, not too thin, tasty and you can add your toppings yourself! We neeeed one by me. That and a Panera Bread or an Atlanta Bread Co.! YUM!!!
OMGosh, you have me
now! Bring it on! Love my 'shrooms and blue cheese!

We're about 75 miles away from a Fuddruckers, so when we get down that way, we try to stop in. I also like Panera Bread (such good onion soup!) and we have stopped in at Atlanta Bread Co, too, at times. The closest Atlanta Bread Co is about 60 miles south of us.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What does the oatmeal do for the burger? I have not heard of that.

The minced onions cooked on one side of the burger sounds heavenly.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

What does the oatmeal do for the burger? I have not heard of that.

The minced onions cooked on one side of the burger sounds heavenly.
I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs to help bind the egg in ground meat when making burgers or loafs. Oatmeal adds more nutrition than bread crumbs. And it breaks down completely so you don't even know it's there. A nifty trick to get more fibre and grains into your kids

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

OMGosh, you have me
now! Bring it on! Love my 'shrooms and blue cheese!

We're about 75 miles away from a Fuddruckers, so when we get down that way, we try to stop in. I also like Panera Bread (such good onion soup!) and we have stopped in at Atlanta Bread Co, too, at times. The closest Atlanta Bread Co is about 60 miles south of us.
Hmm....we need a lunch date seing as how we like the same restaurants! LOL!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs to help bind the egg in ground meat when making burgers or loafs. Oatmeal adds more nutrition than bread crumbs. And it breaks down completely so you don't even know it's there. A nifty trick to get more fibre and grains into your kids
I may try that the next time I make up some burgers!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Hmm....we need a lunch date seing as how we like the same restaurants! LOL!

I may try that the next time I make up some burgers!
Add the oatmeal, raw.