Halshan raw whole ground chicken has no other ingredients and is a 'complete diet'. How do I know i

betha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Halshan is the first brand of raw I've seen with no added supplements (ie, no added egg yolk, dulce, or psyllium husk etc).  

They all like this food, but I guess I'm insecure because I don't know this brand, and someone told me I should supplement it. 

How do I find out iif this is truly safe as their main diet as is?  Or what would I add? 

The ingredients:

Whole Ground Chicken: Chicken Meat, Chicken Bone, Chicken Heart, Chicken Liver, and Chicken Gizzard

http://www.halshan.com/Complete_Diets.html

FYI, my cats had been on Rad Cat for years, but they don't like the new formulation :(

THANK YOU!!!!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any where on their web site where they say their foods are "complete" in the sense that they meet AAFCO nutrient recommendations. If they did meet those recommendations they surely would say so since that would be a significant selling point. Therefore, I assume by "complete" they mean that as per their own criteria, what ever it may be, the foods are complete.

There is no way of knowing what supplementation is needed to make their foods meet AAFCO recommendations since we don't know the exact make up, including quantities, of the foods.

There is a segment of the raw feeding community that will say chicken meat, bone, heart, liver and gizzards are all a cat needs.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My main concern is that they seem to be primarily aimed at dogs. Cats are mentioned too, but almost as an afterthought imo. I'd want to be sure these formulations contained enough taurine in particular, as this is essential for cats (whereas dogs can make their own).

Maybe contact the company and ask for a complete nutritional breakdown (including vitamins, minerals etc) of the varieties you're interested in. Then you can compare it to the AAFCO standards for cats and make your own decision :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your very helpful responses!!!!!  I was afraid this food seemed too good to be true (inexpensive and my cats like it!), so thank you for arming me with the right questions to ask.

Who knows, maybe they'll even start liking Rad Cat again.  

I've ordered the Fur For Life EZ Complete supplement, and if my cats happen to like it, that will be a great alternative too.   I have a feeling they won't like the powdered liver though.