Hallways and staircases

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is it about hallways and staircases that always seem to trigger hissing and spats between my cats? My cat Kisses just does not like to walk past the other cats on stairs or in hallways. She is our newest cat and is still adjusting after 8 months of being with us. Will she eventually get over this? Anyone else have this problem?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's quite normal. Cats will sometimes "argue" about who will occupy the high spot on a cat tree or stairs or shelves, etc. Kisses is not sure about her place in the hierarchy at your home which is the reason for her nervous behavior. As for hallways, the word I can think of to describe them (if I were a newbie cat) would be encroaching. 

Kisses will eventually get over her nervousness. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is that they feel more confined in hallways or on stairs because they are narrow.  My 2 get going up and down the hallway even though it's technically shorter than the amount of space they have to run in the living room and kitchen areas (semi-open floor plan).  They are litter mates I've had since they were tiny kittens.  They still have little spats here and there.