Half Bengal Or Just A Tabby?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Tabby is a coat marking, not a breed in itself, so all Bengals are tabbies, but not all tabbies are Bengals. Your beautiful kitty would be called a brown spotted tabby Domestic Shorthair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceramica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is advertised as a half bengal. What are the visual methods to verify this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not easy with mixes... And a real problem only if they want payment much higher than for a moggie.
The most usual is, they show the parents and their certificates if they have...

This is fairly easy if the cat is a breed cat without certificate. If he IS a mix, perhaps even the momma a moggie, but its the presumed father whom is the purebred gets immediately more difficult..

Nay, no good safety, unless its really knowleable and creditable persons.

And thus, I woulndnt pay extra save for what I can see. If you fancy to have a spotted tabby, its of course worth some more than a typical mackerel tabby...

Said all this. Im sitting now at a computer with a good monitor, better than the Iphone. I still think he has some bengal ancestry. Probably NOT half, but may vey well have a granddad.

So not halfbred. but probably a quarteron. As they said about humans 150-250 years ago.

I wonder about his eyes - are they bluish because he is so young, or is he one of those few blue-eyed cats? There is a variant of blueeyed pointed bengals - snow bengals they are often called. But he isnt point.

Ceramica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His brother had solid blue eyes. This particular cats are more greenish blue

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If its important to know, there are nowadays fairly good DNA tests, its the California VETERINARIAN Medical School which does them, called usually for U.C. Davies. Not very costly, they help you with suitable instructions and sealed letter to have the DNA probe.
About 100 dollars?

Last edited:

Ceramica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm from England and I don't think we have such facilities that are easily accessible. If he does have some trace of bengal then I'm happy enough to pay the money as I know I won't be getting completely ripped off.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are surely happy to do it by postal service, and international paying orders - through bank account or paypal. Try to google, if its difficult we can surely send you an adresse.
I know 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine had a good link the other day.

May I ask, what did you payed - and what is the current normal rate for full blooded bengals in England?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say tes, he has some bengal there and that It might even be a son of a pet quality bengal, not necessarily a grandad ( abyeb abyeb I say this but just because the OP is in the UK and I spend a good time at Pets4homes and I have seen very low quality purebreed bengals there... Some of them still have the old fashion bengals as breeding cats, with simple Sports instead of rosettes, and I am talking about pedigreed bengals. There are too stunning bengals, of course, but sure we are not seeing a Cheekymonkey bengal anyway). You are right about eye colours, two of the varieties of snowbengal have blue eyes, and the third one has aqua eyes.
C Ceramica , I recommend you to visit the breeder and meet at least mother and kittens before taking further actions. I mean, I see potential in those pictures, but nothing is better than seeing a cat in person and check how kittens and mother behave, because you don't really want a bengal X that is not well socialiced or is unhealthy.
As regards to visual "tricks" to find out if a cat is part bengal, there are some, but most are not definitive.
First, the cat must have a spotted belly. If there are no spots, there is no bengal. That doesn't mean that just because the belly is spotted you have a bengal, there are some moggies and other breeds that have spotted bellies.
Second, you want to look for some asymmetry in the pattern, meaning that both sides are not identical, except for the markings along the spine.
Third, if you can see glitter in his coat, well, you have a bengal or some other very rare breed, because there are so few breeds showing this. If this can happen in moggies, I have not heard yet of It.
Fourth, you want to check that the "leather" of his paws is fully black. Bengals don't have pink paws. Bengals can have webbed feet, but that is not a requisite.
Fifth, the nose should have a brick colour. Wiskers pasds should be prominent. A lighter color chin and belly is also a requisite.
Sixth, you want to look for a ringed tail, with the point of a solid black color and not too pointy.
Eight, if you go and check It in person, you will want to check the way his fur feels. Bengals are extremelly soft, silky, pelt-like to the touch. They don't have an undercoat, so their hair will be set very close to their body. Of course, in their fuzzy period, in wich your kitten is at the momment, there will be longer hairs that are separated from the body, but that should dissapear in some months time.
Finally, if you are not sure, keep checking at Pets4homes, because you can see many many good priced purebreeds there. There are, too, some retired Queens and Sires for really low prices.
I hope this helps, I hace many pictures of my 4 months old spotted bengal if you want me to post them so that you can compare them with your kitty.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from England and I don't think we have such facilities that are easily accessible. If he does have some trace of bengal then I'm happy enough to pay the money as I know I won't be getting completely ripped off.
June Swinburne's laboratory (Animal DNA Testing Ltd.):

Animal DNA Diagnostics | DNA testing for dogs, cats or horses

uses the same techniques as does U. C. Davis, and Dr, Swinburne:

Animal DNA Diagnostics | DNA testing for dogs, cats or horses

who oversees the lab is a colleague of Les Lyons, who founded the Feline DNA testing program at U. C. Davis, and who now directs the Lyons Feline Genetics Program at the University of Missouri.