Hairballs?

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My cat has been throwing up hairballs once every week or so... we just got her the Tomlyn Hairball Remedy Gel (maple flavor) and she will nottt eat it. I just put a little of it on top of her wet food and she eats it just fine. I'd like to just give it to her without mixing it in food, but can't get her to eat it off of the tube or my finger. Is mixing the laxatone with food okay?

How often do your guys cats have hairballs? Is once a week normal or too much?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats wouldn't eat it either. They will only eat the Nutri-Vet hairball paste from Tractor Supply. You could try smearing it on the top of her paw. If you give it with food, I think it's only supposed to be a little bit, not their entire meal because the petroleum prevents the absorbing of nutrients I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats wouldn't eat it either. They will only eat the Nutri-Vet hairball paste from Tractor Supply. You could try smearing it on the top of her paw. If you give it with food, I think it's only supposed to be a little bit, not their entire meal because the petroleum prevents the absorbing of nutrients I think.
Got it! I'll try putting it on her paw and see if she licks it. I saw that on the packaging too so hopefully that works! Thanks!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the paw idea! The cats obsessive need to be clean should overpower the disgust of the hairball paste!

My cat is about 8 and she throws up hairballs every 1-2 months, but she’s short haired. I’d imagine a long haired cat would have it more often. You can also try giving him a bit of coconut oil to help with hairballs. It has many other benefits as well!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first hairball relief gel I got for my cat, he HATED. The only way I could get him to take it was by smearing it on top of his front paw, but he'd shake his paw insanely hard and fling droplets of it everywhere!

Then I ordered some Tomlyn tuna flavored gel, and that stuff he'll lick right out of the tube and beg for more. The older tube is now reserved for my other cat who isn't as picky.

So, maybe try different flavors too, and see if any of them will tickle your cat's fancy. :lovecat:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are prone to hairballs during shedding seasons, and when they're stressed out and groom themselves a lot.

I used to use a Furminator to remove loose hair and try to cut down on the amount of fur they ingest, but I couldn't quite get the knack of using it without accidentally scratching their skin from time to time. Then someone on this wonderful site recommended a ZoomGroom brush, and it's absolutely awesome! It's easy to use, removes an embarrassing amount of loose fur I had been missing, and our kitties love the feeling of getting a massage. :)

We also tried feeding our cats a little dab of coconut oil, as it's supposed to help re: hairballs and have other health benefits. They loved the taste, but it just didn't work out for us. Oscar does best with Vet's Best Cat Hairball Relief Digestive Aid, and Buddy does better on Swanson Egg Yolk lecithin. I'm sure if we had more cats, each one would need a different hairball remedy as well. :lol:

123Carol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was having the same problem with my cat. She is a long haired ginger cat, beautiful. Her throwing up hair balls was very disconcerting.
I am always looking for solutions to whatever her problem is. I checked with a local health food store and they recommended probiotics.
I now add a capsule to her food every morning. It is quite tasteless, so she doesn't notice it. It works; I have not had that issue in quite some time.
Just open the capsule and add it. I always warm her food in the microwave for 10 seconds.