Hairballs question

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
About 7 days ago my cat was making the sound and movements of try to pass a hair ball is what I assumed and nothing came out. Yesterday he did the same thing and again nothing (7 days later).
Between that time he has been doing everything as normal, bathroom, poops, eating and running around, today he even threw up his food because he ate too fast.
Last time he had a hair ball was 4 years ago.
I am going to email the vet, to see what he thinks.
Anyone have similar experiences or cause for concerns?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish has never vomited a hairball in her 5 years (shorthair). She passes with poop, in shedding season her stool contains a lot. I would check his poop (try to break one after it's dried, there will be threads). Since everything else is normal and he can vomit if he needs to, I wouldn't be concerned

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby rarely coughs up a hairball, but she does act like she is going to fairly frequently. I have always suspected the act of coughing 'dislodges' the hairball and then lets it continue through the digestive tract to pass in her poop. On occasion, she has thrown up hair, but she also has, from time to time, thrown up with no hair being present in her vomit as well. I do, however, give her hairball treats on a daily basis.

You could try something as simple as a dab of butter or margarine from your finger or on his paw for him to lick off. Maybe to start with do it daily for 2-3 days, and then back off to a couple of times a week. And, I agree with minish minish , about checking his poop for a day or two following a coughing incident.