Hairballs And Weight

keline729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two furbugs I adopted 11 years ago. They're my immediate family. Fortunately I have a cat's only hospital close by to which I took my older kitty just before Thanksgiving. She had a respiratory infection. Her doc loaded us up with mucho medicine and she's doing much better but is still sneezing. Queenie has medium length fur so she throws up frequently. I'm curious if anyone has found something that really works to help kitty's like mine pass hairballs. She's also 2 lbs. lighter than her last checkup and Dr. Laura is concerned about this. I feed her as often as she's hungry but still doesn't seem to be putting any weight back on. I feed them both Sheba for dinner, they have kibble out all the time and recently started giving them Blue Wilderness, is there a 'weight-on' solution ? Thanks to all ! Keline

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chronic vomiting, combined with weight loss is cause for concern. One may think vomiting hairballs is a normal part of being a cat, but vomiting two times per month or more is abnormal. There may be a reason why your cat is having problems moving swallowed hairs from the stomach through the rest of the digestive tract and expelling them through the feces in the first place.

Decreased digestive motility could indicate something more serious such as small bowel or small intestinal disease. Small bowel disease starts with mild inflammation in the intestines and progresses to severe inflammation, a condition known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). In some cats, IBD progresses to lymphoma.

I would be concerned about just treating symptoms (hairballs) and ignoring possible underlying disease. Dr. Laura is right to be concerned.

I would talk with your vet about getting an ultrasound to make sure there is nothing serious going on in your cat's GI tract first.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to second B babiesmom5 on this one. There are certainly hairball formula cat foods, and Dr. Laura could recommend the one she thinks would be best, but a good examination of her entire digestive tract is definitely in order!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding her? Is she eating wet food mainly? If so, you can try adding some plain canned pumpkin puree to her food to see if that helps things move along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keline729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for the concern. Both have Royal Canin HP50 kibble out all the time. At dinner every day they each get one packet of Sheba, although since it's turned cold, now they each get two. These are the double packs which split part. I try to give them as much variety as possible, cuts and pate in all the flavors Sheba makes available, they seem to like all of them and rarely leave any in their dishes. When I was trying to find something Queenie would not instantly vomit right after eating, I went through most other brands and kinds. The longest lasting was Fancy Feast, but eventually Queenie started throwing it up. Since they've been on Sheba (over a year), either rarely vomits after eating.
I take Queenie in to see her doctor this week and will discuss her situation at length and let you know what comes of it.
K

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keline729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please, yes. I, for one, will be fretting about it!
Sorry I've been absent for so long. Been busy, sick and busy! Took Queenie for her follow-up last week. She's doing fine and has gained 1/2Lb and isn't vomiting as much. Her doc put her on prednisone daily now. She doesn't like it much but I think it helps. SO happy and thankful she's back to her usual self. Thanks for caring !