Hairball Questions

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So My Willow is shedding really bad right now and it dawned on me that she might get hairballs. I have had her for almost 2 years and she's never coughed up a hairball. Which is fine with me. But at the same time I am a litle concerned because she does have medium length hair and is ALWAYS cleaning herself. Well not Always but alot. I have read on a few older posts about Fish oil. as in like tune juice??? or is it an actual oil you can buy in the store? if so is it decently priced? or outragious? Could vegetable oil work? I got lots of that to spare LOL I just want to make sure that I do something to help her out a little bit just in case she does develope a hair ball. That and I really don't want nothing bad to happen to her
she's my baby!!! so I figured I would ask to see what I could learn JUST in case

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually the tuna oil, veggie oil, and the hairball treatments are used if you know there is a problem. If you are doing it just for prevention, what I do is use the fish oils on the food. You can buy fish oil plain in gel caps at most stores. I like to use the Omega 3 and or omega 6 fatty acids with fish oils, vitamin A,D,and E. These you can buy at most pet stores, vets, or online. I just add it into the food a few times a week. I like this method best because it helps the motality of hair, but also gives them a nice healthy coat of hair.

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the different oils to give them, but I wouldn't worry if your cat has never had a hairball. That' a good thing! My Max is medium haired and he has only had one. (He's three). I figure he has a good system that gets rid of them! I'm sure Willow will be fine!

woodsygirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the type of food they eat causes them to shed excessively... you might consider switching to a premium or ultra-premium brand. I can tell a big difference when I switch brands as to how they affect my cats.

My cats usually overgroom themselves when they are sensitive to something in their cat food...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by woodsygirl
Sometimes the type of food they eat causes them to shed excessively
Hmmm I knew that Dandruff could be caused by the food but never thought about it effecting the shedding. I know that it's not the food that causeing her shedding tho because she only shedds 2 times a year and that's about the same time my skin starts to change due to the climate here in Denver. As for her food it hasn't changed since she was a kitten(well aside from putting her on adult food instead of kitten) it's always been the same brand even when I can't afford to get food for myself I make sure she still gets her normal brand food. But it's always nice to know!!!!!!

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by cla517
I don't know about the different oils to give them, but I wouldn't worry if your cat has never had a hairball. That' a good thing! My Max is medium haired and he has only had one. (He's three). I figure he has a good system that gets rid of them! I'm sure Willow will be fine!
Not really worried that she hasn't had one. Just want to make sure it stays that way

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
You can buy fish oil plain in gel caps at most stores. I like to use the Omega 3 and or omega 6 fatty acids with fish oils, vitamin A,D,and E. These you can buy at most pet stores, vets, or online.
How much does it cost? roughly that is.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The plain fish oil I have seen anywhere from $4.00 to $8.00 depending on the brand and the amount you get. The others usually $10.00 to $15.00 for a bottle of 60 or 90.