Hairball prevention methods?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody! I haven't been on in forever due to college and what not, but I'm home on break and Miss Kitty has recently been suffering from hairballs. We have some really great medicine for treating said issue, but I'm not really sure what to do to prevent it.
She's not quite a year old yet so I don't want to switch her from kitten chow, and she already eats wet twice a day as well. Should I incorporate a special food or something? This is my first time dealing with the issue and I just need a bit of direction
Thank you in advance

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a lot of loose hair? Maybe she needs to be brushed a bit more often? I know there are specific foods out there for hairball prevention, but I've been blessed by the hairball gods - my kitties rarely get them. So can't speak to how well they work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's really shedding for the first time so I believe that's what it is, her hair is very rabbit like so even when I brush her its hard to get it all out. I suppose I'm just going to power though and hope for the best.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are different tools for different types of fur.  For very fine hair, I use a comb.  One of mine has long hair, but it's also very fine.  I find a comb works best on him.

Additionally, I add 1/2 capsule of Egg Yolk Lecithin to all my cats' food daily to prevent hairballs.  It works wonders.  During shedding season, I up it to  twice a day.  I use Swansons brand.