Hairball? Or Possible Cold?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea how effective it is but if it doesn’t cover all roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworm, you need something else for the one that is left out. Like if it doesn’t treat tapeworms too, you could try this

Oh that is good to know! I will keep that stuff in mind. I don't believe she has tapeworms because I literally looked in her poop and (gag) smooshed it around to see, and they were all roundworms. Some were shriveled up and dead, others looked like they just came out of the ground. It was pretty terrifying for me because I felt so bad for her. I never knew she had worms. She literally was showing zero signs besides of a pot belly, but I thought that was just because she was "overweight."

I never noticed any in her stool before, she wasn't coughing or anything. She was acting like your typical healthy 1 1/2-2 year old. So I have no idea how she was perfectly fine all day, and then over night, bam infected with them. She has had her first dose of the dewormer, and so far she is the same, except she hasn't been wheezing anymore. She still tries to throw up or "cough" which I read that is a symptom of having worms. I cannot hear her meow at all hardly, I don't know if that is from the worms, or her hacking so much, I'm not sure. I just hope she gets to feeling better.
I've literally cleaned my floors in my entire house.. Swept, vacuumed, and moped and washed all the bedding. and even stuck the pillows in the dryer on high heat. This has tore my nerves up. I can't stand to see an animal ill or sick.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how awful
it is to worry about them. I’m like you. I can’t stand to see then feeling bad. Hang in there!
Worms are really yucky! Almost every cat will get them at some point. If even one flea bites them, they can get worms. Ugh! We fight that here. Cleaning like that should help kill anything there. Do it again in a couple of weeks and wash anything the kitty sleeps on even more often until this is over. Check her over for any fleas too. A flea can come on by riding in on our clothes from outside. Drives me crazy. My cats don’t go out, but a flea still finds a way in. Next thing I know, worms!
I know vet bills are terrible. Mine are very hard to meet. My vet is often booked up too. If I get scared I tell them it is an emergency! Fit us in please. Is she still coughing? You could try your local humane society for help. There are also some groups that will help with pet emergencies. If you go on google and type in financial help for vet bills you can find some groups listed that might help but try calling your humane society and explain that you are worried about the worms and that it is possible she might have licked some bleach. Cats are often attracted to bleach even though you would think they would not like the smell. I have answered posts from people who had cats eat all kinds of things that you would not think they will eat. It’s actually a problem lots and lots of people run into. I understand you definetly need to treat her for worms but if she is not eating and is lethargic then I would be concerned. Coughing could indicate many things too but bleach burns their mouth, throat and everything all the way down. She probably would not have ingested a lot but since we can’t know, best to get her checked if at all possible. See if the Humane society near you can offer some advice or help. It’s worth asking for now and for any future possibilities. It might give you a feeling of security to know who you can call if you need them.:heartshape: Please keep us informed as to how you and kitty are doing.

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is an update on my cat!

Yesterday around 4pm I gave her the first dose of worm medicine. I had to give it to her in two doses incase she vomited it up or whatever. She ended up spitting some out so I had to give her a tad bit more. She actually started eating her food, and drinking water. (I noticed the water was down some, and even her food I could tell she ate it.) She didn't poop anymore yesterday. This morning, woke up, still noticed she hadn't pooped. But she had ate nearly all of her food and I had to give her more. (that's gotta be a good sign right?) Well, she literally JUST pooped probably 30 minutes to an hour ago. I checked her stool, and I didn't see any worms at all. I can see that she is feeling somewhat better, still not 100% but she is still kind of lethargy, but I think shes just resting at this point. She does play some. I noticed she's still wheezing a little. No where near as bad as she was. She has no problems breathing at all. She does just fine. But something I have noticed that still hasn't changed is her meow's. She sounds hoarse still. To me it's like something is in her throat or something? Could that be from the worms? I'm not sure. If she isn't showing any improvements by her 10 day mark for her second dose of worm medicine, I will be making an appointment for her to some Clinic. I'm not sure if she has a cold from where I gave her a bath, or it could be possible hairball still, or she's hoarse from hacking? I don't know. She isn't having any other signs. No draining coming out of her eyes or nose. Although, I noticed her eyes are a little watery. I'm guessing allergies? Another thing, she had a hacking fit, literally just that. It sounded like she was trying to hack something up, and I ran immediately to her because she was being loud like she was choking almost? and when I got to her she was licking her mouth? So I dont know if she threw something up then swallowed it, or has a hairball shes trying to cough up. Or even worms? If it'll let me, I will post a video of exactly what she sounds like. My camera on my phone is messed up so beware of the video shaking and being blurry. I went and got her some wet food, Fancy Feast, Savory Salmot Feast- Classic Pate. She went to TOWN on it. She ate it all but a spoon full of it.

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It won't let me upload the video on there :ohwell:

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I'm assuming she has a really bad hairball that she's trying to get up but won't come up. What is some hairball relief, medication, whatever that I can get that will most definitely help her? Something that will help with her throat, and chest and east her coughing. IF they even make such a thing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could check in the pet section at any farm supply store, like Orschelns, or Tractor Supply, they have pretty good products usually for wounds,health problems and hair balls. Just make sure it is for cats. As long as she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box everything is good. Encourage water, it would help her throat and maybe encourage getting rid of a hairball!

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could check in the pet section at any farm supply store, like Orschelns, or Tractor Supply, they have pretty good products usually for wounds,health problems and hair balls. Just make sure it is for cats. As long as she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box everything is good. Encourage water, it would help her throat and maybe encourage getting rid of a hairball!
She only poops once a day and peed so far today, a few times. But she’s eating. But she stopped and has been asleep for a couple of hours. She gets up to stretch then goes back to sleep. She normally has her “hacking fits” after she eats. She ate an entire can of Fancy Feast. I got her a can of Sardines. They are suppose to help with hairballs. I just want her to feel better, and sound better. Somebody mentioned asthma but how can a cat develop asthma over night when they were perfectly healthy before?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe she has asthma, I think she aspirated some of the bleach into her lungs and it burned her throat. It will take time to heal, I pray the lung damage isn't permanent. It shouldn't be, she is young. Only an xray much later would tell. I have two cats that have lung damage from distemper. They are fine now, but breathe faster and are susceptible to colds.

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't believe she has asthma, I think she aspirated some of the bleach into her lungs and it burned her throat. It will take time to heal, I pray the lung damage isn't permanent. It shouldn't be, she is young. Only an xray much later would tell. I have two cats that have lung damage from distemper. They are fine now, but breathe faster and are susceptible to colds.
I honestly don’t think she ingested any bleach. I didn’t smell it on her breath at all. She just pooped, and her stool looks healthy, she’s bloated still, and she just got through eating some wet food and dry food. She’s hacking a little again which is usually after she eats. Last night I gave her a sardine and after she ate it, she was meowing to me, and it sounded like it was trying to break up? (Whatever’s in there) like it was cracking. Idk how to explain it. It just got louder for a second. Her purrs sound fine, just a little “rattely”
I need something if it is a hairball, that will for sure help her. I’m at a loss here. I’m so worried about her and I can’t take her to the Vet until closer to pay day.

Libbyrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Want to update everyone on my girl!

She’s doing better! I haven’t saw anymore worms in her stool! But I’m still treating her as if she has worms until the second dose of the medicine! Her wheezing is completely gone, and her hacking has went down to barely at all. She hasn’t hacked or threw anything up so my guess was probably a cold from me giving her a bath. Or possibly from the worms. Her voice is back, still a little cracky, but all in all I can hear her. She loves on us now, and wants to play. She’s eating and drinking and pooping just fine! I’m so happy that she is back to her loving self