Hairball or Asthma!!??

scteel24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all – hoping someone can help. My Himalayan cat who is 10 years old and weighs about 14 pounds has had an ongoing issue. I’ve spent $1700 and seen 3 vets and still am not sure what’s happening with him or if I should be alarmed. Back in 2012 he started coughing like he had a hairball. After a few days of treating hairballs he did not get better so I took him to the vet. She said he sounded a tad wheezy, prescribed prednisone and it cleared up almost immediately. I changed his litter to a dust free kind and rid the house of any air fresheners and am now very careful with any cleaning products, etc. around the house, etc. He never coughed again and all was well. Cut to December 2019 and the coughing started up again. No cat likes the vet, but my little Houdini is a nightmare to get in the carrier, pees and poops on himself, etc. He’s like a rabid possum. So, I gave it a few days and then called an in-home vet. He said he didn’t hear any wheezing or crackling and thought it was more allergies than asthma. He prescribed a 10 day course of prednisone. After 2 days he was fine again, but then 3 weeks later the cough came back. So this time I took him to his regular vet clinic (nightmare that it was). Like the home vet, she said he didn’t sound wheezy but they did $800 worth of tests. They did x-rays, which I wanted, a blood test, a senior cat blood panel, and a urinalysis. Everything came back great. The x-rays showed his lungs were clear and his heart was not enlarged. His blood work was also good. This vet wanted to wait before more prednisone and thought we should discuss an asthma inhaler if it did not clear up. I waited a few weeks and had another in-home vet come see him (the first in-home vet was no longer in business). This time we did another $900 worth of blood tests and all was good. I showed him a video I had taken and 2 seconds in he said, “That’s not asthma, that’s a hairball”. So, we started a few hairball treatments (special food and a laxatone gel) and an acid reflux medicine, (another $100) but his coughing issue has not changed. He still has a coughing ‘session’ at least once a day, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Some a very mild one with a few light coughs, and others go one for a few minutes – not straight coughing but on and off for around 5 min. He never seems stressed after or even during. He just kind of goes on like normal. So, 3 vets and 3 diagnoses. This may just be something he’ll have for the rest of his life that is not harmful, or it is asthma, which worries me, but with clear x-rays can that be true? Also, he has not coughed up or pooped out any hairballs so that is also worrisome. His appetite is great – he’s always been a little piggy – and he poops regularly. Any insight or ideas would be great.

Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you've run the gamut, bless your heart!

The only thing I can think of is maybe the way the litter is being manufactured has changed and it's dustier than he can handle?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't have much, but wanted to say that there is a form of asthma brought on by environmental, or even seasonal, allergies. I would think you could try the inhaler to see if that makes a difference. Inhalers can contain a form of steroids, anti-inflammatory meds, or antihistamines, so you might want to check with your vet about what direction they are headed.

Attached is an article about asthma that contains a video of a cat having an asthma attack in case it might help.
Asthma in Cats: Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment

Lastly, get a copy of ALL the vet records associated with your cat. They can go along way in saving you money and reduce redundant testing should you need to share them with any vets - current or new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scteel24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all - good idea about the litter, but I don't think it has changed. It looks like rabbit food - big pellets - and I can't see a difference, but you never know. I am hesitant to put him on an inhaler if it's not needed. It can be damaging in other ways. I was just hoping maybe someone else has had the same issue with their kitty. Asthma means they can't breathe, which could be very dangerous, but the 3rd vet said he was bringing in air just fine, plus the x-rays were clear. Isn't that the one way to confirm asthma? I have watched multiple videos of cats with asthma and hairballs and they seem identical. Ugh this is frustrating. I want to be a good and responsible owner - I love my guy of course!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, I don't think there's really anything in this thread that'll help although jen jen might be able to clarify about the x-rays.

Do you have a mister/vaporizer/humidifier?

scteel24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a humidifier in the bedroom where we sleep and a HEPA air filter. I forgot to mention there are NO wheezing sounds when he breaths or is sleeping and no distressed looking breathing. Just these coughing spells. I'll read through that thread - thanks!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the xrays are clear thats great. I like the humidifier idea. Could pick up some hairball gel in the meantime. If it keeps up maybe repeat xrays in 6-12 months and see if anything looks different. Just a thought. Good to know the xrays looked ok though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, if it is a hairball, try decreasing his dry food serving and increasing his wet food serving. That might help move things along and pass hair rather than it accumulating into a hairball. Also, you might try brushing him more often, if you've already not done that.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, the problem with x-rays is that they don't always show inflammation of the soft tissues. You need an ultrasound/sonogram for that.
The fact that that the prednisolone worked for a while points to inflammation of some sort to my mind. But you don't want to keep kitty on pred for too long, that's no good either.

I can see why the one vet might have said it's hairballs, since your cat is long haired and older (yes, 10 is old for a cat). But I'm not a big fan of most hairball treatments. With age comes a certain decrease in gut motility, which can cause hairballs to form and also cause some inflammation along the way. I'd suggest a decent quality wet food, and add a little ground psyllium to it. Psyllium is a natural fiber that is safe for kitties (as well as humans), and will help keep things moving.

scteel24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using an organic laxatone after the one the vet suggested didn't work - it had petroleum in it. I will give the Psyllium a try - thank you! He gets brushed every day and I've now spilt his food to 1/4 cup dry hairball treatment in the monring and half a can of wet food for dinner. The 3rd vet suggested the prednisone may have worked in the beginning because he had some stomach inflammation and the pred helped. I will stay the course and get him checked again in a few months - thanks to everyone!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
For the psyllium, I put about 1/8 of a teaspoon on breakfast and dinner meals. If you have a 1/4 tsp measure, just sprinkle about half a measure and mix it in (my cats don't like the powder if it's just on top). I found some ground psyllium powder at my local Winco on the bulk spices counter. You also might find it at a health food or herbal store, or even online.
Be patient, as with many natural remedies, you may not see results for a couple weeks.

scteel24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much!! I have ordered some from Amazon - I'll keep you posted.