Hairball had bone in it

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Darko tossed up a hairball in the middle of the night (all over my pillowcase, I might add
) and along with the hairball were bits of bone and what appeared to be undigested bits of raw food.  His previous meal had to have been at least 6 hours prior to this. Doesn't that seem odd?  Should I be worried?

I'm feeding him egg yolk lecithin, although I must admit that I haven't been a good about it lately since I ran out of Nature's Plus because he doesn't really care for Swanson's, so it's a little tricky getting him to take it
.  (this morning I made sure everyone took theirs, after the fact
)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it doesn't really seem odd. The hairball prevented normal digestion. That's.... normal. :lol3:

Sometimes the egg yolk lecithin isn't enough to prevent hairballs. I don't know if you really have a "hairball" season down your way, but the cats are shedding up here. To bolster the egg yolk lecithin, I'm now giving them slippery elm bark powder with aloe vera juice (1/4 teaspoon SEB and 1 teaspoon of George's aloe vera) twice a week.

....but when the cats vomit up undigested food hours after a meal, the usual suspect in this house is hairballs. We JUST had our first hairball since I started the SEB back in ... September? Tuxie got one up two days ago. So hopefully the SEB several times a week will help now that we're into the heavy shedding.... :cross:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hairball nightmare is starting here too :stomp: With 4 long haired cats............... makes me want to have a Sphynx next time around :spit:

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the exact same thing happen a few mornings ago....a small dark hairball (looked like Eko's) with a little piece of bone in it.  The bone was shaped just like a tooth and really freaked me out at first!  (I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a tooth...lol.  But surely I'd know....I inspected Eko's mouth a bit but it is hard.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew!   Ok, thanks everyone.  Just never saw any bone in a hairball before, and it's not like they haven't tossed any up since being on raw before.  However, it may be the first one they've throw up since being on HT
.  Maybe their finely ground bone is slightly larger than Primal, so I never noticed it before.  Who knows.

Just glad this is normal. 

And, yes, Laurie, we do have definite shedding season down here
, and it HAS started.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:nod: Primal is REALLY finely ground. The HT has actual small pieces in some of it. (And some are tooth shaped). Remember when I got that ground pork that turned out to be coarse ground? Well, since then, I've had batches (particularly of goat and pork) that are clearly not course ground.. but maybe when there was a glitch in the switch, because there are some kind of larger pieces that are small enough I don't necessarily catch them before putting the food out and I find them when the cats spit them out and leave them in the bowl. But I'm sure they ingest some of them, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them when they toss a hairball. :rolleyes:

:hugs: