Hairball+diarrhea

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a long hair Persian mix. She gets regular brushing and Purina Pro Plan Hairball Prevention dry food in addition to 1/2 can of wet food each day. Still manages to cough up a hairball at least three times monthly. My question.She pooped,but it is a little loose,,sort of like baby diarrhea and there is hair in it.In case a hairball is stuck,is it safe to give her Laxatone?I would not want her to have to try to poop and not be able to,causing her pain,until I can take her to vet tomorrow.Her appetite is fine.Thanks in advance. All advice much appreciated~

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless you have specific orders from your Vet NOT to give it to her, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Are you thinking she might have a blockage or partial blockage? If her appetite is fine, I'm thinking probably not. At least from past experience with my two chronically constipated cats, when they had issues like that, they pretty much stopped eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless you have specific orders from your Vet NOT to give it to her, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Are you thinking she might have a blockage or partial blockage? If her appetite is fine, I'm thinking probably not. At least from past experience with my two chronically constipated cats, when they had issues like that, they pretty much stopped eating.
She is still eating the dry. Lulu is a "gravy licker,when wet food enters the picture. The Laxatone seems to make her really nauseous each time I give it to her.Approx three hours after I give to her,she throws up a hairball and is fine. I am considering a change to raw food diet. This cannot continue.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried it. She hated it.
Changing food requires time, effort, and finding the right one for your cat. It's absolutely worth the effort. On dry food, your cat is a higher risk of developing things like kidney disease or urinary issues, among other things.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Changing food requires time, effort, and finding the right one for your cat. It's absolutely worth the effort. On dry food, your cat is a higher risk of developing things like kidney disease or urinary issues, among other things.
this is very true. When I transitioned mine to raw, it took MONTHS before they were all satisfied and seemingly happy with their new food. Did you read all the articles on first getting them on scheduled feedings, then transitioning them very slowly to the new type of food?

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)