Hair Loss

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just noticed my cat has a bald spot on his back. I was brushing him today and a lot of fur came out. I did yesterday and there wasn't much fur. He has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, is this normal? freaking me out. And he keep doing this weird sneeze cough thing. I didnt think they lost their fur until they were further along in the disease

Maddie M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is the cat? If its only 1-2 years old, its normal. Its just shedding. The sneeze thing, my kitten does that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No hes 15, just diagnosed hyperthyroid, and has a bald spot. He just started the sneeze cough thing. He also has seizures. I just dont understand how the disease can progress that fast. 2 weeks? He had no clinical signs before now

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? If its only 1-2 years old, its normal. Its just shedding. The sneeze thing, my kitten does that.
Um, no, this is terrible advice. Please don't tell people anything is NORMAL. Losing a clump of fur to the point of baldness is most certainly not normal at all.

Your kitten sneezing also has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's elderly sick cat sneezing. Sneezing with cough is also certainly not at all normal. I don't see how your kitten sneezing makes it ok that the OP cat's cat sneeze/coughs.

To the OP, remember that cats do anything at all possible to act completely normal and when they are showing symptoms it is often far more advanced then we think. So it is likely your cat has had his illness much much longer then you know. This is just another reason why once cats are considered elderly it is recommended to do full bloodwork yearly to catch this stuff before it gets bad.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He got his bloodwork and it was good minus the slightly elevated thyroid levels. I took him in for the seizures. But you may be right. My ckd cat didnt show signs until it was too late

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I have no personal experience with hyperthyroidism I did a search and thought several of these threads might have some helpful information for you:
Recently Diagnosed With Hyperthyroidism - So Many Worries
Advice - 16 Yr Old Cat With Hyperthyroidism And Only Eating Gravy
2 Cats Diagnosed With Hyperthyroidism

I completely agree with jen jen that doing a full bloodwork panel on a senior cat is not only beneficial but crucial. I hope other members will weigh in with their experience. Best of luck with your cat, please keep us updated. :hangin:

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah he just got one 2 weeks ago and everything looked fine. The thyroid was high but not super high. I think hes probably had it for awhile and I just didnt notice. Now I notice everything and think everything is wrong. But I keep telling myself, if you didnt have the bloodwork done, would you think he was acting abnormal? And the answer is no. I'm being hyperactive and I have mom brain. I know he probably doesnt have much time and I just want him to be happy.