Hair Loss

lday1021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question and I thought maybe someone here could answer it.
I have a vet appointment set up, but the vet that I want to see is on vacation until next week. I figured I would try to get an idea of what is going on while I am waiting.

My cat (Ariel) is 12 years old and is showing no signs of illness. No lethargy, cold symptoms, she's eating and drinking OK, and isn't having any kind of bowel or urination problems. This is not an emergency which is why I felt ok with waiting on my normal vet to get back. A few more details about her that might help is that she is completely indoors, no changes in her lifestyle and is on a good quality food. Could this be thyroid or diabetes or something? She did put on some weight over the last year, but nothing excessive. She is just as friendly as ever and is a happy cat, so I am at a loss as to what could be ailing her.

Long story short is that my cat started losing hair at the base of her tail about a month ago. I noticed her pulling at her hair on her belly one night and thought that it might be anxiety. So I watched her closely over the next few weeks to see if she was pulling her own hair out or scratching. She hasn't been over grooming or itchy or anything. Now the hair loss is halfway up her tail. It is very noticeable because she is a long haired cat. Does anyone know what might cause hair loss only on the tail? She has a "lion tail" now, but no other hair loss anywhere on her body. It doesn't seem to be allergies or anxiety. Any ideas?

Thank you so much for any information you guys might have. Ariel appreciates it too because her mommy is worried about her. I found her when she was a week old. She had been abandoned by her mom, so I bottle fed her and became her surrogate. Her and I go way back and I will do anything to help her out. She's my baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lday1021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!
I wish it was something easy like a flea allergy, but my two cats and my two dogs are all treated monthly for fleas, ticks, etc. The cats are always indoors and rarely venture out of my bedroom because the dogs like to play too much.
They are both older cats and prefer sleeping on my bed all day and playing at night when the dogs are crated. This doesn't seem to be an allergy at all. I don't have experience with feline allergies, but one of my dogs is allergic to everything "the vets says it's more things than we can even shake a stick at".
Does anyone else know if any medical reasons (not allergies or anxiety) that a cat would lose their hair on their tail? Thank you all!