Hair loss/wound on 5 day old kitten

mjvale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all. I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before on a very young kitten. This baby is 5 days old and the runt of the litter of 7. It sort of reminds me of a rug burn. The edges of the area are a bit crusty looking. There is also a very small, thin patch on its leg as well. I have left a message with my vet, but wondering what other’s thoughts are in the meantime.

Attachments

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say but I would be very suspicious of ringworm, which is a fungal infection. Be careful not to spread it to your other pets. Sometimes people can get it too.

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but it looks painful. Poor dear. Do keep us updated on what your vet says if you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mjvale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to say but I would be very suspicious of ringworm, which is a fungal infection. Be careful not to spread it to your other pets. Sometimes people can get it too.
[/QUOT
I don't know, but it looks painful. Poor dear. Do keep us updated on what your vet says if you can!
Thank you for the response. Yes, ringworm is on my radar. However, I also sent the pics off to a few people who have had experience with ringworm and they didn’t think it looked like it. I am still being cautious in case it is indeed ringworm though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mjvale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response! I will! We recently moved into a house in the country. Long story short, the mama cat originally belonged to the neighbor, but clearly “Joint Custody Kitty” (Sheba) wanted to adopt us. I thought it would be fun to have kittens, but now I am a stressed out co-parent to these fur babies. P.S. I am going to spay her after this.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The crusty edges in a ring like pattern are usually the give away. The name ringworm comes from the crusty edges looking like a worm.