Hair Loss And Lesions (pictures At Bottom)

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm a first time cat owner and I recently adopted an fiv+ kitty named Germ. The shelter said he's approximately 5 years old. It's been about two weeks and he's been adjusting well to his new home. He's recovering from an eye infection he had while he was in the shelter and also a little cold the vet said he may have caught from the stress of moving.
However, recently hes developed these discolroed bald patches/lesions above his eye and on the top of his head (within the past 3 days). I sent pictures to the vet and she didn't know what they are but said to bring him in if they started looking worse.

He hasn't been acting abnormally nor has he been scratching the area (at least from what I can tell). He also recently tested negative for ringworm because the vet was a little worried about some patches on his back, but those have since healed. I also couldn't find any signs of fleas, but I'll be giving him a parasite preventative (as per vet suggestion) when it arrives on Thursday (revolution PLUS orange).

He's currently being treated with terramycin for his eyes and the vet gave him a Convenia shot last week.

I am hoping someone in here may have a clue as to what's happening or what I can do to help him?

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely worried new cat parent

Pics in the spoiler

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd hold off on giving the Revolution for now. You don't want to possibly irritate the skin any more if your cat has a reaction to Revolution. One of my cats got bald spots on his head from Revolution even though it was applied to between his shoulder blades:dunno:

Are you feeding the same food the cat was eating at the shelter? The same litter as well?

Skin Conditions In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd hold off on giving the Revolution for now. You don't want to possibly irritate the skin any more if your cat has a reaction to Revolution. One of my cats got bald spots on his head from Revolution even though it was applied to between his shoulder blades:dunno:

Are you feeding the same food the cat was eating at the shelter? The same litter as well?

Skin Conditions In Cats
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll hold off on the revolution until I get a clearer idea of what the problem might be. The shelter also treated him with frontline recentlyish :sickcat:

I've been slowly transitioning him from hills science diet optimal care dry food(the food they used in shelter) to American journey grain free turkey dry food. I also completely cleaned out his litter boxes yesterday and started transitioning from friscos odor free clumping clay litter (they didnt give me the exact brand they used at shelter) to a&h feline pine pellets. No sign of diarrhea or aversion to new litter.

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wasn't able to figure out how to edit the original post but wanted to post update on the situation.

Shortly after I made the first post, Germ licked himself raw on his back (about a 4in. X 1 in. Area so fairly large). I took him to the vet the next day. The vet said it looked like an allergy so we put Germ on a limited diet (blue buffalo prescription food, hydrolyzed salmon), antihistamines (chlorpheniramine), and an omega 3 oil for his skin.

In the process of transitioning to new food, antihistamines had no effect on his itching, but killed his appetite and made him incredibly sleepy. he hates the taste of the omega 3 oil. Vet recommended to try 5 mg of zyrtec instead which I have yet to go out and buy. In the meantime, germ is wearing a baby shirt to keep him from licking/scratching. Also has trace amounts of blood in his stool which vet said is mostly likely from transitioning to new food and stress.

It will be a while before we know if food allergy is the cause of the problem so will update again later.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked for ear mites? If the scabs are only on his head, he may be scratching because his ears itch.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad you are updating us! I wish I could help more, but not sure what to offer other than:

What kind of omega 3 oils have you tried? There are chews that might work better, if you haven't already given that a shot. Green lipped mussels also contain omega 3, and can be gotten in chewable treat forms as well as a powder form that might work better.

But, I have also heard that these oils can potentially cause issues with platelet counts, so perhaps you would want to mention that regarding the trace amounts of blood in the stool and whether omega 3 is something that should be used anyway. Maybe ask your vet about an alternative?

Also, in trying to help with the lesions, you could use chamomile tea bags (grocery store type, no additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the spots a couple of times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. Won't cure the problem, but might help make it more bearable for Germ.

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he been checked for ear mites? If the scabs are only on his head, he may be scratching because his ears itch.
I thought that it could he ear mites too, the vet checked his ears and didn't say anything about them though. He was also treated with revolution plus a few days ago. And of all the places I've caught him scratching, his head isn't one of them. :/ If they start looking worse, I'll probably be contacting the vet again and I'll ask about ear mites specifically. Thanks for the suggestion!

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Glad you are updating us! I wish I could help more, but not sure what to offer other than:

What kind of omega 3 oils have you tried? There are chews that might work better, if you haven't already given that a shot. Green lipped mussels also contain omega 3, and can be gotten in chewable treat forms as well as a powder form that might work better.

But, I have also heard that these oils can potentially cause issues with platelet counts, so perhaps you would want to mention that regarding the trace amounts of blood in the stool and whether omega 3 is something that should be used anyway. Maybe ask your vet about an alternative?

Also, in trying to help with the lesions, you could use chamomile tea bags (grocery store type, no additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the spots a couple of times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. Won't cure the problem, but might help make it more bearable for Germ.
I actually tried using chamomile tea for a bit about a week ago before we went to the vet. It didn't seem to help then but perhaps I'll try again since he started a new diet.

I'm not sure of the brand, but the omega 3 comes in a capsule that you cut open and squeeze out. I was thinking about taking a break from it anyways since he barely eats his food when the oil is on it. Will definitely ask vet about alternatives.

Thanks for all the info!

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4/16 update on the situation

Took Germ back to vet for follow up and it was disheartening to say the least. He's still very itchy and the antihistamines they prescribed were not helping. Zyrtec did not help either. A new lesion appeared on his inner ear and the vet is worried it may be ringworm (which he tested negative for previously). Stools still have blood in them as well. The vet told me to start using a fiber supplement (psyllium husk powder) (in addition to probiotic) a few days ago which has helped solidify them but hasn't helped with the blood. :sniffle:

The vet wants to prescribe steroids for his itchiness even tho its risky due to his fiv+. She is going to get a second opinion from dermatologist regarding the lesions in his ear and then we will decide where to go from there.

The hair on the original lesions is growing in (that's pretty much the only good news).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Germ does not go outside, how would he have contracted ringworm? Glad the vet is getting a second opinion on this matter.

Secondary infections are unfortunately pretty common in cats with FIV. Has a fecal PCR test been considered to determine if there is an infection behind the blood in his stool?

Could any of his symptoms be helped out with anti-inflammatory and/or immune enhancing drugs?

Soupx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If Germ does not go outside, how would he have contracted ringworm? Glad the vet is getting a second opinion on this matter.

Secondary infections are unfortunately pretty common in cats with FIV. Has a fecal PCR test been considered to determine if there is an infection behind the blood in his stool?

Could any of his symptoms be helped out with anti-inflammatory and/or immune enhancing drugs?
Thanks for the input. The vet called a few hours after his appointment and said that she and the derm ruled out ringworm because when he was tested before it should've been picked up. He had a fecal when the bloody poops first started and it came back negative but I don't know if it tested for anything besides parasites.

I'll ask vet about different drug options, but both vets at the office seem to think it's an allergic reaction to something (hence the food trial). They also said if his symptoms don't start getting better after a few weeks on the food trial he should probably be taken in for a derma consult to test for other allergens. :sigh:

Ideally, they wanted to start him on steroids and an antibiotic (to fight off any infection that may be caused by steroids) AND do a blood panel, but
I'm in a pretty tough spot financially because I wasn't expecting to have to pay $1k+ on vet bills/medication/treatment right out the door. So for now we're just going to try steroids to make him less miserable/itchy and hope he doesn't get a secondary infection (but if he does they said they'll prescribe antibiotics). :bawling: