Hair Loss Above The Eye, Facial Alopecia?

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, my cat (Boo) is almost two years old, she will be two by the end of October.

Now those last few days I was petting her head, when I noticed some type of really small crust above her eye. I tried to remove it and some hair pulled out with it. Really small amount, barley noticeable. And the crust is the size of pimple. Anyhow I really got alarmed and I was thinking it's ringworm. Because exactly last year, in fall she had a huge ringworm fight.

Anyhow I applied some ringworm cream. But I noticed that she started to get a bald spot above her eye. I did my research and it says that cats do get these facial alopecia when they reach the age of two. And they are absolutely natural. But my cat has some reddness aroud this bald spot. so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. I'm really scared that it has something to do with ringworm. Should I go to the vet or is it normal and not worth the trip? (Ps. The vet visit is really expensive where I live, so I rather not go if it doesn't seem serious) so if anyone has any idea about what is it, please offer some advice.

Here are some pictures of the bald spot:
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That doesn't look like the normal thinning that you sometimes see. I don't know what it is, but doesn't look right to me. Is she scratching at it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The skin looks red and irritated. Normal skin is white or pale. Looks like she's been rubbing it. Have you noticed her rubbing her eye more with her paw or rubbing her head on the carpet more than normal? I would definitely get her to the vet for a check up to make sure it's nothing too serious and to get her some meds to help calm that down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see her scratching it, it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She runs and play all day.

The food she eats is royal cannon, she refuses to eat anything else no matter how hard I try.

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, no no, I just saw her rubbing it for a while with her paw​

fatimatiger3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: so last week I went to the vet and he told me that she has ringworm. So I started applying tropical treatment. It only got worse, so I went this week and he suggested that we start oral treatment as fast as we could. Considering my cat’s difficult history with defeating ringworm.

So he told me to start giving her lamisil pills (Terbinafine). Half a tablet each day for a week. And then we should stop a week, and do another course of treatment the week after.

I started giving her the pill along side with the topical treatment as he advised. But a few days went by and I still don’t see any improvement. Is half a pill not enough so see immediate change?

And how long does it take to see results from oral treatment? Isn’t supposed to be strong enough to defeat ringworm fast?