Hair Balls

carolcatone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi has anyone had problems with their long haired cat and hairballs. She threw up a very large alarming size hair ball 3 weeks ago at least 3 inches long, we were stunned. She had loose pudding stool after also. I took her to vet as I was very worried. She checked out fine all blood work including blood work for parasite was good. Also no problems showing of blockade or hard stool inside etc. We also put her on probiotic. Vet said cat lax 2 times a week, a lot of brushing so she ingests less hair. Her stools went back to ok, but then 2 days ago she had a very small spit up of hair ball and again small pudding stool. Today looks like stools are ok. She was eating and playful. I did email vet and they said to continue on as we have been and update them. Vet said cats do have sensitive systems. This is my first experience of hair balls, had other cats but no problem like that. Anyone else have this happen?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not really have any issues with either of my longer-haired cats having hairballs. But, they were brushed regularly and given hairball prevention remedies.

The first one, Tawny, actually LOVED Vaseline. The second one, Gracie, would eat the malt flavored petroleum jelly. If neither of those options appeal to you, you could try something as simple as a dab of butter/margarine for her to lick off of your finger or her paw. Raw egg yolk (whites must be cooked) is another hairball remedy I have heard about, but never tried.

Cat lax probably will cause looser stools than normal. But, there is a possibility the butter/margarine, or the egg yolk, could as well - if she is prone to having slight diet changes affect her like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolcatone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a great suggestion I never thought of butter. I stopped the Tomlyn hairball treatmwnt as both cats had loose stool today. I think the ingredients does not agree with them, and I will and have been brushing daily now. My previous long haired cat, years ago, took the brand name Cat Lax and he was not a neat freak like my cat is, she is very tidy and hates to have anything on her fur. He had no loose stools from it. But for now we halted any cat lax, still will give Probitic, and let it work out of their system we hope. Did let vet know of my plan and I appreciate your info on this. I heard of pumpkin also but of course for now we just wait and maybe by end of week I can run by the butter idea to the vet. Have a great day.