Hair Ball? Or Something Else?

ampmarini2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may be a stupid question, but I am a first time cat owner and really new (less than 6 months). I have gotten a lot of good advice so am asking this here. So far my lil man hasn't coughed up a hair ball. I groom him every day however I am sure it will happen. I have noticed the last two weeks, occasionally, when he gets really comfy and lying on his back sleeping, his body starts so shudder and then he gets up like he is trying to clear his throat. Then after a few minutes it stops. I am hoping he is just trying to pass a hair ball and it is not something more serious.
From the hair ball novice, is this normal?
Thank you in advance.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a hairball that's not coming up. Along with the brushing, maybe give him hairball treats once in a while, if you are concerned. There are many different kinds of hairball remedies for prevention and treatment.

The other thing to consider, if he only seems to do the coughing thing after being asleep on his back, he could be a drooler when he's comfy, and he's just clearing his throat from excess saliva. My guy is a heavy drooler when he's super comfy, to the point where there is a huge wet spot on whatever he's sleeping on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ampmarini2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I tried but couldn't reach my phone. I will make sure I get a video of it and post it. I don't mind going to my vet but if it is just a hairball. Don't want to look like a moron.

ampmarini2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I have never seen a cat cough one up I am pretty confident that was it. I will still try to get it caught on video.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Its just odd to me that he does it after he's been sleeping on his back...is he a drooler otherwise?
I'm thinking there might be youtube videos of hairball "horking":)

ampmarini2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he is not a drooler, it's not only when he is on his back. I just really noticed it last night. I'll check youtube.

Notinks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Asthma attacks can also look like that. My cat has asthma and when he has an attack, it looks like he is coughing up a hairball, except no hairball comes up.

ampmarini2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mmm I will have to talk to the vet. When I received him the vet's report never said anything about Asthma.

Notinks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet didn't know much about asthma. I had a video to show her and then my cat actually had an attack in her office. I don't think she had ever seen one before. They diagnosed him with a chest xray. I figured it out by googling!

Notinks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat asthma attacks are also very different from humans in that they only last for awhile and go away without a rescue inhaler. My cat is on prednisone daily for asthma. Not a great drug to be on long-term, but it keeps him well.