Had to say goodbye to Chester

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been ages since I posted here but it's my way of coping.

I had to say goodby to my Chester at the end of November 2023 three days after his 20th birthday. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

He had been slowing down and having little problems nothing serious. Then he stopped eating. At first I thought he was just being picky but after a week it was time for a trip to the vet. His vet was closed but fortunately we have an emergency vet. They diagnosed a large mass and because of his age surgery was not an option.

Now I am so lost without him, I miss him every day. I've decided not to adopt a new cat because I seem to have lost all my people who are close enough to help me out and worry about being able to take care of him.

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the hugs. That's a shock, finding cancer at his age. It's not much consolation right now, but at least he did have a very long and happy life with you.

I hear you on not getting more cats. I will have to think very hard about whether I get another when Phoebe and Daisy are gone, because I too have nob (other than the local anima welfare society) to care for them if I had to be away. I would not trust my neighbours' competence for something so important.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Twenty does indeed say a lot about your abilities to take good care of a cat…wow. Again, not much consolation, but one of the greatest gifts you can give a cat is to give them a painless & loving passing, which you certainly did. Please feel free to unload more here if you need to, we’ve all struggled with this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.......no matter how long we have them in our lives, it is not long enough. Chester is at peace now, he carries your love in his heart and the bond of love that ties you two together is very strong after all those years.
None of us are perfect, many times we try to deny the fact that all living creatures must have an end. Not one of us can guarantee we will have a tomorrow. We just live and love as long as we can. That precious boy's love will always be deep inside you, the path he follows now will forever parallel your own. Time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief, sometimes it atkes a long time to process our grief and learn ways to manage it.
It hurts so bad, and for so long. But one day your grief will turn to gratitude for having him share your life's journey, you will realize the grief is so much much less than what he taught you, what he gave to you. That can never leave you, he taught you what love truly is. "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
My thoughts and prayers are with you both, please know we are here any time you need to talk. Bless you for loving that precious boy so much......RIP beautiful Chester. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read about Chester. As others have said, 20 is a wonderful long life but still never enough. My heart goes out to you. :hugs:

Rest in peace, sweet boy. :rbheart: