Had to put CT down and now another cat is really ill

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to put Christopher  Thomas down today. And when I got up this morning, my ShakerToy was on t he floor, writhing in pain, unable to walk. Took him emergency to vet. He has blood clot in aorta which stops circulat ion to both legs and tail. He is home on Fentanyl patch and other pain meds and an anti-coagulant which hopefully will dissolve t he clot. He has to drag himself around by his front paws, can't get into litter box or eat alone. /Prognosis is very poor.

I have no words for how I feel right now.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no! First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss. Second, I'm surprised the emergency vet sent you home with ShakerToy in such a condition. From what you describe, it sounds like he is suffering from a saddle thrombus, which can be fatal. A search of "feline saddle thrombus" will yield many results.

Is the emergency vet the same clinic as your regular vet? If not, can you call your regular vet as soon as you can and let them know what's going on? Perhaps they can help.

I hope the meds work and your boy pulls through.  
  I'm so sorry you're going through this. What a trying time for you. 
  Try to stay strong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering. Clinic is at my regular vet's, and not much else can be done in hospital than can be done here. And he is s tarting to get a bit of hind-leg function! So keep up the meds and hope. Appointment Monday. Only concern is that he won't eat. Just sleeping b/c of Fenatyl.