Had To Bring Feral Mom Unspayed And Put Her In Cat Rm

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She will be spayed in 2 weeks. I didn't wanna leave her sitting in crate, alone with little attention. She walked straight in her disguised den (cage) but later tonight she was on top n greeted me with hisses. I'm going to bed now but will feed at 6:40. She's been through a lot. I keep low n have spent time in her room when she was in cage but should I stay in if she stops hissing and just lay down n read? Spay n shots done in 2 weeks or should I work with her more or should I just spay her and hope some aggression peters off

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If she doesn't panic every time she sees you - hissing is fine - it would be good to spend some quiet time with her to get her used to human contact. If she gets somewhat accustomed to you spending time in the room, it should make it a little bit easier to get her into a carrier and to the vet's office when it's time for her appointment.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you do depends also in part, if you plan on just TNR her, ie release her afterwards, no matter if she begins to warm up to you.

Or if you are willing to try and socialize her, if she do warms up to you.

If the first, dont overdo too much the socializing. If the second, proceed as you have skissed. Bring her food, talk calmly and friendly, lay down and read.

Some hissing is OK, it usually sounds worse than it is. As long as she doesnt panic, stay put.

Some calming music is good, but dont have radio with human voices on "to make her used to human voices". Not before she has landed , it will just stress her out.
But YOUR friendly, calm voice is OK, its a very potent cat language.

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're good. Right now she has ambient river noise. No hissing (she knows me). I'm not returning her. I gave her breakfast at 6 am. (Some very good dry kibble with a bit of gravy version wet-not too much). It's 7 am and she's in her "den" where there is low set heat pad under some towels on top of pillow cuz I'm living downstairs where eventually she'll have big window (much later). She has carpeted shelves to climb, scratching post n hiding spots. We can go slow. Thank you to all who answer or read. Hopefully we'll have photo as she is a beautiful grey n white (smallish) with gold eyes ....Goldie is her name. Her babies were weened from her 2 days ago. Any post-natal care for this mom. She had 5 adorable babies at least 6 weeks ago.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would spay sooner rather than later. You can continue working with her after the surgery, but hormones and heat cycles won't make anything easier for you. There is also the chance that she'll try to escape.

Thank you for helping her!

• Purraise

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. As of now, I can shut the gate on her door since she likes being in there. Room is good size and ceiling is secured with guerrilla tape and wire (under tape) so escape would be very, very difficult but I understand what you mean. If she snuck out the door some way, there's still another door so I'm ok with her being secure. We will do spay soon. She's not distressed, uses LB, eating/drinking. I'm just letting her get used to me coming in and out, feeding and scooping before I shut the cage door which will probably frighten her. I'll try to arrange spay sooner than 2 weeks but isn't there a wait time for milk to dry? Babies were pulled (which didn't outwardly upset her) Thursday pm. I know it's my human mind but seems like she's been thru a lot. I'm reading my texts to her right now.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can Anyone Let Me Know -
I think she may still have some fleas. Is there anything i can do prior to spay/vet???? Best thing to do? Rescuer said she gave her something to D-flea but I'm having doubts cuz I think I felt one- she had an edible D-wormer. Anything I can do---HELP. Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Capstar tablets are instantly killing all adult fleas. Its harmless. You can easily give her crushed tablets with food.

Later on you must follow up with some more long term working defleaser. Perhaps even this already given defleaser will kick in.

Otherwise, there are several drop on. For example Revolution. You must come near, but you dont must hold the cat, its enough you manage to drop some on the backside of its neck / shoulders.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Will check capstar cuz can't get close enough yet

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much time should I try to spend with feral cat in cat room
She just watches me play with a toy but it perks her ears up and I haven't touched her at all (she at least 1 yr). She's been here 8 days n we nap together, talk, sit and games plus feed n cleaning

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spend as much time as you want and can afford to spend with her. Read to her, talk to her, sit with her. She just needs to get used to your scent and sound of your voice. Let her set the pace on how things develop.

• Purraise

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I start to wonder if I'm not routine enough except she gets 4 sm-med sz meals a few cookie treats (grain free), tsp of bone broth n water, I go in a lot and sometimes I'm there 10 mins and sometimes 30-60 now but it's often throughout the day. It get tiring for me to lay or sit on floor but I do it for her

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we're going for spay tomorrow a.m. No more food or water. Worried for caging her cuz she seems to be avoiding it however if I turn the vacuum on outside her door??? Her morning food won't be coming-ugh. She is smart cookie. Also, I can't understand why she is preferring her (very good) dry food over the grain free blue chicken wet. Well, I gotta get her through this

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is it going now? I don't think scaring her into the crate is the best option.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't really "scare" her, per se but if I turn the vacuum on in the other room.., she just goes in her cage (her den with pillow n fleece) then I go in and shut the door. I turned it on (not in her room) for 30 seconds and when I went in her room she was in there. She's at the vet now.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything special I should do when I pick her up from spaying?