gunk in claws

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I've noticed there is black gunk in between my cat's claws. It's litter, I'm sure. It's like the nails are hollow & stuff can get inside them. When I went to trim one of my cat's nails, she swatted at me, so that got me thinking how & why. I tried to dig some of the black stuff out but she wasn't having it. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this? I had a girl for 17 years, always trimmed her nails & didn't notice anything like this before.

I attached a picture & drew a blue line where the gunk is. It's like the claws are a shell & they can fill up with litter, it's kinda weird. All 3 of them have the black crap. Last time I took one to the vet I asked about it & she didn't seem to concerned.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. There are sheath-like tissues that surround the claws and as the claw grows, the outer sheath-like layer sheds.

This appears most often when the claws are not cut frequently enough. I wouldn't try to dig out the black stuff, but rather cut her claws and let the sheaths fall away with the trimming process. If your cat's claws are trimmed often enough, I don't think you will have the same problem with the 'gunk' or seeing what you are calling the hollowness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there. There are sheath-like tissues that surround the claws and as the claw grows, the outer sheath-like layer sheds.

This appears most often when the claws are not cut frequently enough. I wouldn't try to dig out the black stuff, but rather cut her claws and let the sheaths fall away with the trimming process. If your cat's claws are trimmed often enough, I don't think you will have the same problem with the 'gunk' or seeing what you are calling the hollowness.
I trim about every couple of weeks & this has been going on since I went back to clay litter. I think this particular claw has been sensitive for awhile now. I was going to try to soak it & then try to clean it out, only if she lets me LOL. I mean that kitty litter is like cement, I can imagine how it must feel. I wish they would just pee & jump out, but no, they dig. I don't remember anything like this when I was using Okocat.