Guilt Over Having Breeder Cats

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...have any of you experienced this? I know the Adopt Don't Shop motto is noble and well intentioned but sometimes I feel like scum for liking Bengal cats. I cannot help but feel guilty spending so much money on my little man when there are so many cats that need homes.

How do you all deal with this? How do you respond to people who judge you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are buying from a reputable breeder then you have nothing to feel bad about. Yes, many people would love it if all animals came from rescues. But you are allowed to enjoy a particular breed and purchase that specific breed. Just don't support a backyard breeder and ensure your breeder is breeding for the improvement of the breed. And if you did get from a shady or byb this time or have in the past in ignorance? Ensure you educate those around you and volunteer at your local rescue to help others see the benefit of rescues or reputable breeders.

Anyone who has a problem with it, it's their problem not yours. You know why you picked a Bengal and you made that choice for yourself. You are caring for your cat and ensuring you don't add to the problem by breeding outside recognized breeding program. Don't let anyone else take your joy away from sharing your life with the cat you picked out.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: X2

ALL cats deserve to be in loving homes and where you decide to get yours from is no one's business but yours. How do you respond to people who judge you? You don't. You owe them nothing. It's your life and your pet and if they don't like it, too bad.

I am definitely an adopt before shop person but as mentioned above, if you are going to an ethical, reputable breeder, there's nothing wrong with it. Enjoy your little buddy and this is how you handle people who have a problem with it. :eviltongue:

I adore Bengals. They are stunning! How about a picture? :camera:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As mentioned above, just be sure you are supporting a great breeder, who tests their cats properly, has excellent contracts, cares about their health and well being, shows their breed and puts a lot into their breeding program. Also one that waits until the proper age to breed and waits in between breeding the same cat to give them a chance to rest. Don't feel bad if you are doing it right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: X2

ALL cats deserve to be in loving homes and where you decide to get yours from is no one's business but yours. How do you respond to people who judge you? You don't. You owe them nothing. It's your life and your pet and if they don't like it, too bad.

I am definitely an adopt before shop person but as mentioned above, if you are going to an ethical, reputable breeder, there's nothing wrong with it. Enjoy your little buddy and this is how you handle people who have a problem with it. :eviltongue:

I adore Bengals. They are stunning! How about a picture? :camera:
Of course but I have been struggling to figure out how~!

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...have any of you experienced this? I know the Adopt Don't Shop motto is noble and well intentioned but sometimes I feel like scum for liking Bengal cats. I cannot help but feel guilty spending so much money on my little man when there are so many cats that need homes.

How do you all deal with this? How do you respond to people who judge you?
No I do not feel guilty for getting my two from a breeder everyone has a choice in life I had my two for my 60 birthday last year from a very caring breeder, years ago we had rescued some domestic shorthaired cats but for the last 30 yrs we have had pedigree cats if anyone has a problem it’s down to them not me

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to get a pedigreed cat for my next cat, but my family doesn't understand why when you can get any cat free out of a newspaper add. And then I say, why are you going to pay $1500 on a pure bred dog when you can get any old pit bull free in a newspaper add? Apparently it's okay to spend money on getting a dog but not a cat.

I don't understand that at all. And I don't feel guilty because supporting ethical breeders is the only way to preserve the breed.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People will always have opinions Megan you don't have to answer to anyone unless of course you are living at home with parents rules etc. if you want to buy a pedigree kitten you need to find a good breeder we researched several breeders for over 2 yrs up n down the country we settled for the one we felt was best, ask loads of questions and be prepared to answer just as many. The good breeders won't let their cats go until the are satisfied you fit their criteria. And vice versa when we bought ours, like I said we had rescued domestic shorthairs over the years no problems. I wish you lots of luck n hope you find the pussycat you are hoping for

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never felt guilty over having cats from breeders (or breeding). When I was first married I had some very bad experiences with shelter cats (and dogs) and that turned me off. Not all have bad experiences though and rescues are important, I just find that breeders are a better fit for me. If anyone has a problem with that - it is their problem, not mine.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are still providing a wonderful life to a kitty. You are contributing to the economy. You are helping to keep the breed you are buying pure for others, like me, to see and enjoy.

I think the greater importance is how the owner treats their pet, not whether the cat is a purebred.