GUESS THE BREEDS!!!! a great game!!!

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm Molly!

I started the cat site a few weeks ago and I'm lovin' it!

I have five cats:
Willow: black with very round eyes!
Meaty: completely black with copper yellow almond shaped eyes
Daisy: black with white triangle under neck and white paws
Tabie: obvious breed
Stripey.???????????? Guess this yourself

Try and guess the breed of all my cats!!!
If you have a answer post I've got it!! Below and private message me saying your answers and the cat your guessing for...

Good luck!!

Try and be one of the first 10 to get the correct answers...

Also,
BONUS QUESTION:

1) how many years does the average cat live for?

2) how can cats use there whiskers? What for?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we have pictures? Welcome to the site! Bonus questions..... Average age - 15, use whiskers to tell if they can 'fit' through a space and communication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can we have pictures? Welcome to the site! Bonus questions..... Average age - 15, use whiskers to tell if they can 'fit' through a space and communication.
Hi sorry I can't add pictures because I don't have any pictures of them but if you struggling to guess I can give you some more information about each of them

Thanks and sorry for Any inconvenience
Mollomint xoxo:D

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Willow - Burmese  Meaty - no idea! Daisy - tuxedo Tabby - a tabby and Stripey - a tabby! Come on give me a clue!
A clue for stripey is she is brown, black and white with different shades of Brown.

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clue for MEATY IS she is representing a black panther!

Her breed begins with b and ends with y:nod:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Willow - Burmese  Meaty - no idea! Daisy - tuxedo Tabby - a tabby and Stripey - a tabby! Come on give me a clue!

Stripey - calico?
Clue for MEATY IS she is representing a black panther!

Her breed begins with b and ends with y:nod:
Willow: black with very round eyes!...   .. Burmese
Meaty: completely black with copper yellow almond shaped eyes.....Bombay?
Daisy: black with white triangle under neck and white paws.....Tuxedo
Tabie: obvious breed.....Tabby
Stripey.???????????? Guess this yourself...Tabby

I think that @Di and Bob....got all the questions right.....and I guessed Meaty to be a Bombay....because I went online and googled it.

How come you don't have any pictures of them?  just curious?  do you not take pictures or no camera?

Last edited:

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Willow: black with very round eyes!...   .. Burmese

Meaty: completely black with copper yellow almond shaped eyes.....Bombay?

Daisy: black with white triangle under neck and white paws.....Tuxedo

Tabie: obvious breed.....Tabby

Stripey.???????????? Guess this yourself...Tabby

I think that @Di and Bob
....got all the questions right.....and I guessed Meaty to be a Bombay....because I went online and googled it.

How come you don't have any pictures of them?  just curious?  do you not take pictures or no camera?

I used to have a camera and it had loads of pictures of my pets but it broke
Also, di and Bob have got willow wrong and daisy wrong
Cat nap you have got MEATY, STRIPEY AND TABBY RIGHT. : )

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow: black with very round eyes!...  NOT .. Burmese
Daisy: black with white triangle under neck and white paws.....Not tuxedo

And @Di and Bob   got both bonus questions right, too....
.   I would have guessed 16 and said that whiskers were for "seeing" in the dark, feeling their way around, to not hit their heads. 

Okay,  we will need more clues for Willow and Daisy.?

mollomint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Extra clues:
Daisy - has reasonably pointy ears big body an small head. She also has white on her belly.

Willow - completely black with long fur, copper eyes with a hint of gold.

Good luck!
And don't hesitate to ask for more clues...

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok now I know it only a game and I mean this in the nicest way BUT it is called " Guess the breeds" and I just want to point out that -

M mollomint you do realise that Tabby cats, black and white cats ( also known as tuxedo cat ) and tortoishells ( torties also known as calico's ) are not breeds of cat they are colour and or patterns. These colours and patterns are found in all domestic ( moggy ) cats and in most of the pedigree cat breeds. But they are not breeds themselves.

I think the game should have been called "Guess the breed and/or pattern" :lol3:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok now I know it only a game and I mean this in the nicest way BUT it is called " Guess the breeds" and I just want to point out that -

@mollomint you do realise that Tabby cats, black and white cats ( also known as tuxedo cat ) and tortoishells ( torties also known as calico's ) are not breeds of cat they are colour and or patterns. These colours and patterns are found in all domestic ( moggy ) cats and in most of the pedigree cat breeds. But they are not breeds themselves.

I think the game should have been called "Guess the breed and/or pattern"
Hi @GemsGem    thanks for this information,   because all I know is that my vet calls my cat a DSH (domestic short hair)(canada) and he is black and white, so I describe him as a tuxedo.  (But I guess DSH is equivalent to a "mongrel" in dogs? or to what you called a moggy? I went online and it said that a moggy is a cat with unknown origin.)

So does that mean if a cat has no papers, is it considered a pure breed?  Or does it also fall into the moggy class? 

Oh, and are there more than 40 breeds or more like 80 breeds....that are recognized? 

third question:   What is an experimental breed?

thank you.  from cat nap.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Willow has some Scottish Fold in him? That's my guess.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi @GemsGem
   thanks for this information,   because all I know is that my vet calls my cat a DSH (domestic short hair)(canada) and he is black and white, so I describe him as a tuxedo.  (But I guess DSH is equivalent to a "mongrel" in dogs? or to what you called a moggy? I went online and it said that a moggy is a cat with unknown origin.)

So does that mean if a cat has no papers, is it considered a pure breed?  Or does it also fall into the moggy class? 

Oh, and are there more than 40 breeds or more like 80 breeds....that are recognized? 

third question:   What is an experimental breed?

thank you.  from cat nap.
Hey cat nap,

This article should answer most your questions :D

http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/colorpatterns.htm

An experimental breed is a breed that is new and still in development, with little or no recognition by any of the major cat fancier's or breed organisations. ;)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey cat nap,

This article should answer most your questions

http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/colorpatterns.htm

An experimental breed is a breed that is new and still in development, with little or no recognition by any of the major cat fancier's or breed organisations.
Thanks, @GemsGem   that was a very helpful article and did explain that the term "purebred" is only used by the "general public", like me, and "not by breeders or cat fancy."

So they use "pedigreed".  And to be pedigreed means has to "trace it over many generations"....also interesting.

(this article being paraphrased by me...http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/colorpatterns.htm)

I love the term Moggy.

But still slightly confused on difference between tuxedo and bi-color....now.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks, @GemsGem
  that was a very helpful article and did explain that the term "purebred" is only used by the "general public", like me, and "not by breeders or cat fancy."

So they use "pedigreed".  And to be pedigreed means has to "trace it over many generations"....also interesting.

(this article being paraphrased by me...http://cats.about.com/od/felinegenetics/a/colorpatterns.htm)

I love the term Moggy. :rub:

But still slightly confused on difference between tuxedo and bi-color....now.:confuse2:  
A bi-colour is a cat with two coat colours with one of the colours being white so -

Black and white
Blue and white
Red and white etc...

Bi-colour is the correct term used by breeders and cat fancies/ organisations for a cats with a one colour plus white.
Tuxedo is not a term used in the pedigree cat world - it's just a cute nickname due to the black and white cats pattern making them look like they are wearing a tuxedo.

Grey is another one - the correct term for grey in the cat fancy is blue as in Russian Blue or British Blue.
Russian Grey doesn't quite sound right :lol3:
Then there's Orange or Marmalade - correct term is red in the cat fancy. :D

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
A bi-colour is a cat with two coat colours with one of the colours being white so -

Black and white
Blue and white
Red and white etc...

Bi-colour is the correct term used by breeders and cat fancies/ organisations for a cats with a one colour plus white.
Tuxedo is not a term used in the pedigree cat world - it's just a cute nickname due to the black and white cats pattern making them look like they are wearing a tuxedo.

Grey is another one - the correct term for grey in the cat fancy is blue as in Russian Blue or British Blue.
Russian Grey doesn't quite sound right

Then there's Orange or Marmalade - correct term is red in the cat fancy.
I love learning about these terms.  I may not use them but at least I can understand what someone is talking about, now.  thank you for the detailed post.