Guard cats?

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've been healing from an injury that's made walking difficult, and basically I've needed to use a wheelchair around the house. I have two female cats, one a 5 year old mackerel tabby (polydactyl) and a 2 year old, long haired pointed blue lynx/rag doll; I have two pitbull guard dogs that are chained up either inside or let loose on a line outside. All the animals get along, and even nap next to each other, but earlier today I was pushing myself to walk, one of my dogs got excited and jumped near my injured foot, accidentally stepping on me in the process. It hurt quite a bit and caused me to yelp pretty loud; what happened next was surprising! I've never seen my kitties act this way; in an instant they both attacked Shicha (male pitbull)! They went into attack mode and both teamed up on him, one latched onto his back and the other went for his front leg, the incident only lasted a moment but it was very scary! Lots of hissing and growling on their part, yelping from Shicha. I'm not sure if they reacted due to being startled or if they were actually trying to defend me. (I've seen them defend a kitten before) Poor Shicha didn't even try to fight back, he tried to get away, but the girls were relentless! i've never seen them so vicious. luckily I was there to break them up. I'm wondering if this type of behaviour is common in female cats, or if its a territorial issue? They have all made up since the scuffle, but I'm still worried about letting them all roam freely around one another. There hasn't been any incidents since, but I'd prefer some insight before I can rest easy.

After the situation was under control and everyone calmed down, I gave Shicha some pets so the girls could see it was okay, told them it was an accident in a calm voice; (I talk to my pets Lol I don't care if anyone thinks its weird) Royale was the first to come close and sniff Shicha but Kitkat was still a little mad and growled from afar.

Anyone have insight on how to proceed? I don't wanna keep them quarantined over one incident, and it seemed to be done out of instinct to protect; but it might have been an attempt to control the situation (thus a territorial display, perhaps?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Kitkat (5y/o- mother to Royale)

Shicha & Royale (She seems to have a crush on him Lol always rubbing on him, and sleeping on his bed)

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
look at the utube post from tonight's yahoo

or go to yahoo and search under "cat tara"

your cats will hopefully forgive him soon

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can be as protective of their humans as dogs. 
 Your Shicha's yelping and not fighting back was probably his way of saying "It was an accident! I did not mean to hurt anybody! Sorry! Sorry!"