Grumpier Than Grumpy Cat

serena kimlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I hope you can help me with a bit of a dilemma. I have two cats from the same litter about 3 years old now, named Tia and Thrall.

My main concern is my cat Tia. When alone with me, she's a happy affectionate cat with loads of love to share. However, when my husband enters a room, no matter how calmly or casually, she will bolt. My husband is absolutely wonderful with our fur babies, but seems to spook Tia. She also cannot stand her sibling. Even hearing cars pulling up in our neighbours' driveways, she growls and slinks into hiding (Thrall also does this).

Anytime Thrall wants to play, Tia immediately goes into defence mode ala growls, hisses and retreats.

Both have been desexed, both female and previously mentioned, of the same litter. They have plenty of space to play, rest and get equal amounts of attention.

Am I doing something wrong to make them so aloof and skitterish? I fear the constant anxiety may affect their health.

Any advice would be a Goddess Send! Thanks Much and Bless!

Rena

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old were they when you adopted them? Is it possible they were abused by a man (even though only Tia is reacting to your husband)? Or could there be a smell on your husband that your cat doesn't like?

A couple things you could try are having your husband give the cats their food, give them any treats, and initiate playtime with them.

As for Tia not like Thrall, I've heard of re-introducing cats to one another, by keeping them seperate for several days and slowly allowing them to have contact again.

Is either cat declawed? That can make them grumpier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

serena kimlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has she been doing this? Have you taken her to the vet recently for a checkup?
Thank you so much for your help! They both have been to the vet and deemed very healthy, hence my concern. When I asked my vet about it, she merely stated that some cats are more aloof than others and may mellow with age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

serena kimlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old were they when you adopted them? Is it possible they were abused by a man (even though only Tia is reacting to your husband)? Or could there be a smell on your husband that your cat doesn't like?

A couple things you could try are having your husband give the cats their food, give them any treats, and initiate playtime with them.

As for Tia not like Thrall, I've heard of re-introducing cats to one another, by keeping them seperate for several days and slowly allowing them to have contact again.

Is either cat declawed? That can make them grumpier.

Hi there! I believe they were about 9 weeks old. I do know the shop I got them from was going out of business and may not have given Tia and Thrall the interaction they needed.

Because declawing is deemed animal cruelty here in Australia, they still have their sets.

I'll definitely give your advice a go and see where we end up. Thank you so very much!