Growling with toys

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, Happy (7 months old) and Meeko (almost 5 months old).
I never has problems while playing with Happy before I brought Meeko home.
However, the very first day Meeko set foot in my apartment, I was surprised/amused to hear him growl all by himself while he had a crumpled paper receipt in his mouth. To be 100% honest, I thought it was super cute and he stopped right away when he saw me.

Since then, Happy started to growl aggressively when he plays with his favorite toys. I say "play", but it's more an intense munching festival, really; he comes running, snatches the toy and sprints as fast as possible to the other side of the apartment where he lays down and growl to his heart's content. I read on the forums here that cats naturally do this with a prey in their mouth.

Happy always does it with the toys like DaBird and now (first experience was 5min ago) it looks like Meeko growls with the fluffy mouse on the metal wire (same company as DaBird). Here is where the problem starts: since he steals it and runs away with them incredibly fast, I'm scared he might hurt himself if the wire gets caught somewhere while he runs or if himself gets all tangled up in the toy. I know it probably sounds like a dumb thing to do, but I try to take back the toy when this happens. Happy gets really cranky when I want the toy back and (after his little demonstration tonight) so does Meeko. It appears that I am literally unable to take back the toy, I can't distract them, if I pick them up, take out the treats bag, they never let go and they block their jaws. My boyfriend has to help me when it happens because I must admit I am a bit scared they might bite/scratch me. I do it because I am scared they might hurt themselves or just eat the toy, period.
When I have the toy back, they just act like usual, no hard feelings, even though I struggled a lot with them seconds before.
All the toys that makes them growl aggressively are "banned" safely in a drawer, and now i am sad to add the fluffy mouse on the wire on that list. They have lots and lots of toys but I would love to be able to play with them again, not just with the laser toy.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Last edited:

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
its most likely them asserting ownership of their "prey" to each other

the growling is alerting the other cat and saying "hey, this is mine, i will fight you if you try to take it!"

until they learn each others boundaries and feel safe in each others company, you may need to give up toys that they cant safely run off with

perhaps try tossing fluffy toys for them to chase down?  ones that dont have wires or strings on them, just fluffy mice or bird toys

we even use ping pong balls for our cats to race after, they love trying to catch them while it bounces around!

or get real fur balls, etsy.com has many listing for real rabbit fur balls for cats, that way if they DO decide to eat some of it, it wont harm them

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: the main problem with the growling was that they were not growling at each other, they were growling at me!
I bought a new veerrry fluffy toy, a little lamb, and Happy is crazy about it! Yesterday I found it in the dry food bowl! He still growls from time to time all by himself when he gets really into it, but never at me.
Meeko loves the crinkle balls, but he literally destroys it/tear it up and it's damp with saliva in a few minutes.
I just need to find a kind of toy for Meeko too, now :)