Growing your own catnip and cat grass questions.

espiritumapache

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about catnip, but, I love herbs/herbal medicine and valerian gave me quite a surprise that may interest you (and others). I started with valarian because I have insomnia and I didn't want to take a narcotic med so I turned to herbal medicine. It's easy to grow, but while waiting on mine to be ready to turn into tea, I bought premade organic valerian tea bags (the ones that have only parts of the valerian plant as ingredients). The first night I was going to use it, I set up my tea cup &, while waiting for the water to boil, started getting ready for bed. When I came back into the kitchen the tea bag was mysteriously gone from my tea cup! I thought I'd lost my mind... Then I saw FireFly rubbing herself like a nut on the living room floor, the tea bag string dangling behind her. I looked it up and turns out, while valerian has narcotic effects on people, it has stimulant effects on cats. It's, apparently, a fairly well known alternative to catnip... Now, like I said, I don't know much about catnip so I don't know if valerian is harder or easier to grow, but, if you already have it (since you said you enjoy gardening) I thought I'd let you know... Plus it's something you (or family members) and your feline friends could benefit from :-) (ps. Even if you don't have insomnia, valerian is great as a sleep aid when your sick)

john andrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 2 cents, I've not heard of a case of a bee, a honey bee or a bumble bee, stinging (cat, dog or person) while it's out foraging.  If you stumble into/onto a hive, yes, that's a problem, but generally the bee is focused on collecting pollen and nectar from the flowers (it's not impossible, of course, but rare IMHO).  If bees are around, they'll finding anything in bloom.  If there's no catnip, then there will be clover in the lawn, or some other shrubbery w/ flowers.  Plus, Catnip is in bloom somewhat late in the season, not like perennels.  I keep cutting it back before then.  So don't be shy about planting it on that account.  However, the statement is true enough about it being a bit, well, what I would call prolific, it spreads easily and quickly, handy for those of us with "black thumbs" (but perhaps a nuisance for those wanting to keep plantings organized).  I use it as ground cover in areas that are not ideal for other, more temperamental, plants.  I harvest all year (OK, six months) and get quite a bit over the season, and "the boys" seem to appreciate it.  For inside, I need to keep my small garden in a spare bedroom with the door shut, as they wouldn't let anything get going before knocking pots on the floor.  I also plant Spearmint and Cilantro (for me, not the boys) for the same reason, they are hardy and prolific plants that cover well, and come back when the weather warms up.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am one of those who deliberately let their outside catnip grow crazy. All the neighbourhood cats think my house is the best.

rooneyandmuldoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope some people don't think this is nit picky. I think it is very important to not buy plants from "Big Box" stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. These stores usually have plants that have been raised with the use of neonicotinoids that kill bees and other pollinators. I think this phenomenon was first noticed in the parking lot of our neighborhood Home Depot, causing a nation-wide flurry of confusion and concern as to what was causing these bees to die. What happened was that employees sprayed the trees in the Home Depot parking lot with neonicotinoid-containing spray, and then people noticed a shocking number of honeybees dead under the trees. What caused this, everyone wondered? Turned out to be the neonicotinoids.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/garden-center-neonicotinoids/

I actually think that Lowe's recently pledged to not sell any plants treated with this deadly chemical, and Home Depot states that they will label them, for what that's worth. Walmart? Not especially socially conscious.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/lowes-announces-ban-bee-killing-pesticides-n338631

But about the cat grass seed.... I found an excellent online company called Sprout People. They sell a mix made especially for cats that contains oats, wheat and barley. All of their stuff is organic and non-GMO, which it seems to me is even more important for cats than people, since their bodies are so much smaller. (Just a theory.) Anyway, we're talkin' $6.78/lb. (That's a lot of seed.) And if you can find buddies to split an order with, an order over $60 is free shipping. (And seed lasts a long time with minimal deterioration if keep in a dark, dry place.)

https://sproutpeople.org/cat-grass

Gotta keep those guys happy! And thanks to everyone for all of the generous help I get. 

P.S. I almost forgot to mention that I read about one woman who grew lettuce for her cats and highly recommended it....

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought the catnip from petco and our cats loved it (ate it fresh, not dried) until it got big and we had to replant it. Now the plant is huge and the cats ignore it.  I found a really cute cat grass planter at petco and bought it, and then when the grass was growing we transplanted it to bigger pots and it lasted a long time before lack of attention caused it to whither and die.  it four sections for wheat, oat barley and corn.  they also sell "refill" packets. Though a little expensive, if you don't have space or storage for the bigger bags, it was worth the price to me.  But yeah, I am glad you are trying something, I think your cats will love it.  And just like people, they have different tastes, so the variety pack is nice so you know which one your cat prefers.

rooneyandmuldoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, those little kits are cute and easy. I think they have the same ones you are talking about on Amazon, perhaps less expensive?

I have to say, though, that I think the wheat, oat, barley mix from Sprout People looks better to me, since it is organic and non-GMO, and it is $6.78 per pound. That's enough to last a long time. In fact, I think I might use the base from the one above and just fill it and plant it with this mix. Guess I'll have to have at least three pots going, though.

All said, it's great we all care enough about our cats to do this!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that is the same one.  I didn't check the other one, I just have no place to store the dirt and the extra seeds, and where I live it is very HOT and HUMID during the summer and what didn't get used up right away would surely go bad.  We have a balcony on our apartment, and we have grass growing in several different pots, and mint, and flowers.  Ha Ha, we have this one long flowerbed planter, its only about 8 inches wide, but we thought we would plant the regular grass in that one and low and behold, one of cats gets in there and pees!  the other cat gets so mad... That starter kit is nice for indoors in the winter because it is so small and I think its pretty cute.  but you are right.  Our cats are very lucky to have us, even if they prefer not to admit it.