Grooming This Lady

shiddlesnbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the cat in the picture is shiddles. Let me think about how to phrase this. Her fur isn't as soft as a typical cat. It's almost like a thick cottony feel. When I brush her I'm not entirely convinced I'm getting the undercoat like I should. I am using a really stiff hand brush. Any suggestions? Should I just get her groomed?
fur.png

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I suggest using a comb instead of a brush. You'll want one with metal teeth rather than plastic. If you do a search on amazon you'll find a number of different styles. Get one that is just a plain comb, not a shedding tool. The tines will have rounded ends so they don't scratch kitty's skin. I use one similar to this because I like having the handle. I've seen a lot of people at cat shows using comb like this one.

Beautiful kitty. How old is she? I can see why a brush would just skim over the top and not get all the way through her fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiddlesnbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try that! She is just under 11 weeks old. Brand new little one

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend a grooming tool called a Furminator. It gets through that thick undercoat and actually trims some of it away so that there is less future shedding and mats. My cat absolutely detests grooming and is near impossible to capture so I only get her a couple of times a year. I have a box of various tools I have tried to groom her and by far this works the best and fastest.