Grooming Mitt For 14 Weeks Old Kitten

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi all! I bought today a super cheap small pet grooming mitt - the package doesn't say it's specifically for cats but I thought I might give it a try. Turns out the kitten LOVES it, he just purrs away. Is it enough for a short hair kitten or should I look into something more professional for grooming?

I am a complete kitten newbie, we adopted our first yesterday and still trying to figure out how to do it right!! What are essential items we should have? We have litter tray and crystal litter (same that the foster carer was using), a tray mat, 50 tins of the food he was on (I'd like to choose a premium brand and slowly switch), a plate for canned food, a bowl for water and a bowl for dry food, a bowls mat, a small scratch post (but we are building a huge one ourselves), nail clippers, carrier, a little bed (he doesn't like it, he actually prefers to sleep in the carrier), a few toys, a catnip plant and the grooming mitt I mentioned in another thread. Are we missing something for now? Should we use some neutraliser for odours or get ready with something to clean up potential toilet mistakes (we have a carpet)? His pee doesn't smell at all, the crystals are good I guess, but the poo, oh gosh :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sound pretty set up to me ! Toys hanging on a string was a must for me when first got my kitten . I didn’t have anything - only a litter tray and some food :insertevillaugh:. The scratch post with a bed hanging on it she still loves however most I picked up after her personality came out . She prefers sleeping on the window sill and my bed rather than her own !

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have it covered. What a lucky kitty!

The only other thing I could suggest is water bowls in other rooms. I put colorful ones in the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and one next to his food on the eating mat. It encourages water consumption!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You may be fine just using the mitt, at least while he is a kitten. My 5 year old short-haired boy, Paul, also goes crazy over the mitt. The mere site of it and he turns into a virtual puddle. Since he's not that fond of the other grooming tools, I use the mitt almost exclusively but use the Furminator every week or so just to make sure he's gotten a good deep grooming. I'm not sure I'd use a Furminator on a kitten, though - it may be too much for a kitten's more sensitive skin.

The best way to decide if the mitt is enough is by the power of observation. Check to see if his coat appears healthy and shiny, with only a few loose hairs. Check also for the kitten "throwing up" hairballs on the carpet or leaving lots of loose hair on furniture and clothes. If everything seems okay, then the mitt is enough for now. You may need additional grooming tools as he grows older or during shedding seasons, though.

Another aspect of this is what your kitten enjoys and what he will only reluctantly put up with, or not put up with at all. Paul's sister, Chula, doesn't like the glove at all and only barely tolerates the Furminator. For her, I use a soft-bristled brush for her daily brushing and try getting a few swipes in with the Furminator when I can. I used to have a cat, Milo, who adored a toothed loop kind of tool and hated anything else. In other words, your kitten may decide the question for you.

This article might be helpful - it has lots of information on the different brushes available for short-haired cats. 7 Brushes That You Should Consider For Your Shorthaired Cat It doesn't mention the Furminator - checkout this page on amazon for more info. Again, it may not be appropriate for a young kitten but come in handy as the kitten gets older, especially near the base of the tail.

Another article to read is: 7 Reasons Why You Really Should Groom Your Cat Regularly It mentions that grooming should be enjoyable, which raises the point that you might consider purchasing additional tools just because your kitten likes them and not necessarily because he needs them! A soft-bristled brush can make a lot of cats very happy.