Grooming Grrrrsss...

kdn8100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, guys, the newbie here needs help/advice. One of the cats, Smokey, is somewhat porky and has fallen down on efficient grooming of her rear quarters (top of back near tail, backs of legs...) which has resulted in a accumulation of dead fur and some mats. Sure enough, she is the ONE cat who really needs in-depth grooming, and sure enough, she is the ONE cat who detests it!

I try to sneak in the brushing as best I can. Unfortunately, if she realizes what you are doing, the fight is on. She gets so angry and upset that I am basically afraid she will have a heart attack or something, not to mention the wrestling, snarling, growling, biting, and attempts to disembowel me the entire time. I'm torn between taking her to the vet and having her sedated so she can be brushed out, but that seems extreme.

Has anyone used any calming herbal remedies with any success? Should I just get the fight over with and do it myself?

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kdn8100

Okay, guys, the newbie here needs help/advice. One of the cats, Smokey, is somewhat porky and has fallen down on efficient grooming of her rear quarters (top of back near tail, backs of legs...) which has resulted in a accumulation of dead fur and some mats. Sure enough, she is the ONE cat who really needs in-depth grooming, and sure enough, she is the ONE cat who detests it!

I try to sneak in the brushing as best I can. Unfortunately, if she realizes what you are doing, the fight is on. She gets so angry and upset that I am basically afraid she will have a heart attack or something, not to mention the wrestling, snarling, growling, biting, and attempts to disembowel me the entire time. I'm torn between taking her to the vet and having her sedated so she can be brushed out, but that seems extreme.

Has anyone used any calming herbal remedies with any success? Should I just get the fight over with and do it myself?
I am no expert here, but if I were in your place I would take her to the vet for sedation/grooming. That way she won't blame it all on YOU and you won't end up in ER. Just my opinion. Others here may be able to come up with a better suggestion. Good luck