Grooming Does A Mitt Work?

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Churche does not liked to be brushed. I was thinking of getting a mitt and was wandering if they work and what the price range was and which is the best . currently using a metal flea comb.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get an actual cat brush and see if Churche likes that better. Most of my cats have responded by far better to a brush than the flea combs. You can start out by just brushing the parts Churche likes - such as neck, cheeks, etc. My cats all have actually purred to get brushings.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a mitt that I purchased on Amazon. It absolutely works. My cats neither love nor do they hate being brushed. At times they like it and at other times they act as if they have something better to be doing. It cost me about 5$.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper was not at all a fan of brushing when I first tried it with her, so I got one of the mitts. It's good at picking up hair, and easy enough to use, but she seems scared of it. So I went back to the brush, and she was more receptive now that she's settled in the apartment and feeling safer and more confident.

With either one, she eventually wants to chew on the brush/mitt, so the brush is obviously better to use than the mitt so my fingers don't get nibbled and she doesn't learn to bite at hands.

So I'd recommend the mitt unless your cat is a biter or tends to bite the brush.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always used a slicker comb on our cats n also the zoom groom both on amazon the zoom groom massages n grooms at the same time. Never used the mitts I know a couple of people that do though they get on with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a mitt that I purchased on Amazon. It absolutely works. My cats neither love nor do they hate being brushed. At times they like it and at other times they act as if they have something better to be doing. It cost me about 5$.
do you have a pic of it so i can get a good one? there are so many.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maiku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Juniper was not at all a fan of brushing when I first tried it with her, so I got one of the mitts. It's good at picking up hair, and easy enough to use, but she seems scared of it. So I went back to the brush, and she was more receptive now that she's settled in the apartment and feeling safer and more confident.

With either one, she eventually wants to chew on the brush/mitt, so the brush is obviously better to use than the mitt so my fingers don't get nibbled and she doesn't learn to bite at hands.

So I'd recommend the mitt unless your cat is a biter or tends to bite the brush.
when i try and brush her she gets angry and leaves she kinda has a attitude lol.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do you have a pic of it so i can get a good one? there are so many.
Do I have a pic? Sure, now I do. Do I have to remove all the fur first? Hope not! I don't know if there are better ones on the market but it gets the job done.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have that exact one, and it's the only thing my foster will let me use on her. I get a fist-sized ball of fur off her every day with it, it's awesome! She's one of those cats that really leans into petting and adores being touched, so if anyone has a cat like that I highly recommend it.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also bought one off amazon for about $6. I only got a right handed one because that is my dominant hand, but I find I wish I had a left handed one too for when my cats are laying on my lap with their head facing right. I see now you can get a pair for the same price. I have very large hands and I'm not sure what brand I have but the velcro wrist strap just barely attaches.
As for the actual use of the glove, I love it. With a brush I found I was mainly just brushing the long straight parts of my cats, because the glove can contour I do a much better job on the back legs, neck, and tail. They even let me brush their bellies, which none of my cats would do with a normal brush. I get more hair in a few minutes than a half hour of conventional brushing with my old brush.