Griffin had many teeth extracted today - worried...

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted on here recently, but I'm worried about my Griffin. He went to the vet today for a dental cleaning, and I just got a call from the vet telling me that they had to extract almost all of his back teeth.
He is only 4 years old, and I feel like a horrible kitty mom for not taking better care of him. I have tried off and on to brush his teeth, but never stuck with it because he was increasingly resistant to it. (Now I know why - his mouth must have been hurting him so badly!)

The vet said that at Griffin's young age, the state of his teeth was pretty much "worst case scenario". He will come home later this afternoon on antibiotics and pain killers. The vet did ask me if he had my permission to run a test for Feline Leukemia/FIV, since he said severe dental problems can occur in cats with those diseases.
So I am anxiously awaiting the results of that. All of Griffin's preanesthesia bloodwork came back normal, so I am hoping he is just predisposed to dental disease and nothing worse.

Please send some vibes to my kitty for health and healing! Thank you.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry. What a worry. When do you get the results back from the test?

Some cats, just like some people, are just prone to dental disease.

Lots of for you and your pour kitty.

Robin

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, many vibes for you and Griffin. I'm hoping it's 'just' genetically bad teeth (just like some humans have, like me). Heck, even my vets have said I'd be lucky if I could get my kitties to accept their teeth being brushed. It's not the easiest thing in the world with some cats.

You are a good mommy because you did get him in for a cleaning - you know how many cat owners don't even think about that?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I haven't posted on here recently, but I'm worried about my Griffin. He went to the vet today for a dental cleaning, and I just got a call from the vet telling me that they had to extract almost all of his back teeth.
He is only 4 years old, and I feel like a horrible kitty mom for not taking better care of him. I have tried off and on to brush his teeth, but never stuck with it because he was increasingly resistant to it. (Now I know why - his mouth must have been hurting him so badly!)
I can say my elderly domestic short hair, Momma cat is missing all but about six of her teeth. She eats dry and a mix of wet and dry just fine. I would not worry about it at all. Yes
, she is missing all her back teeth and has been for years. Over the years she has had MANY teeth removed.

I can also say working in veterinarian offices I have seen MANY cats do fine missing teeth. So relax

Lastly, many cats do NOT like to have their teeth brushed! So I would not feel like a bad cat owner and assume your cat was in pain.

The vet said that at Griffin's young age, the state of his teeth was pretty much "worst case scenario". He will come home later this afternoon on antibiotics and pain killers. The vet did ask me if he had my permission to run a test for Feline Leukemia/FIV, since he said severe dental problems can occur in cats with those diseases.
So I am anxiously awaiting the results of that. All of Griffin's preanesthesia bloodwork came back normal, so I am hoping he is just predisposed to dental disease and nothing worse.

Please send some vibes to my kitty for health and healing! Thank you.
What your veterinarian is suggesting is quite possible. Now that is a whole other problem which I hope you do NOT have to face.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having several toothless cats, sometimes the genetics is just the pits. My trio are mother - son - daughter. And two other close relations are nearly toothless (each both has 4 teeth left).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Having several toothless cats, sometimes the genetics is just the pits. My trio are mother - son - daughter. And two other close relations are nearly toothless (each both has 4 teeth left).
Bugsy is testimony of that - he was not even 2 when he was diagnosed with Stomatitis, and he has awful teeth... No brushing either, as any product or rubbing on his gums are just too much for him - it causes more inflammation than leaving it alone and treating him with his stomatitis medication. Every dental he has is an adventure. Make sure to have plenty of wet food for the next couple of weeks or so; vibes and more vibes going your way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your vibes and encouragement. His FeLeuk/FIV test came back negative, thank goodness. He lost 9 teeth today. 7 of them were surgically extracted, and 2 of them apparently were just kind of dangling there in the gum tissue so the vet just tugged them out. He came home kind of groggy, but doesn't seem to have an upset stomach or anything. When I let him out of his carrier, he stumbled directly to where his food dish usually is, so apparently he must not be too nauseated!

He will be on strictly wet food until he is all healed up. He has a liquid pain medicine that I have to squirt on his gums twice a day, and clavamox tablets that I have to give him twice a day. Not sure how the tablets are going to go - I've never had to pill him before, and I am nervous about trying to get it down his throat without hurting his poor mouth. I'm going to offer him a little wet food now, let that settle awhile if he eats, and then give it a try.

Even with the horrible day he had, all the staff at the vet's office kept telling me what a sweet cat he is, and how tolerant. The groomer always says the same thing. He is such a good boy.

The vet urged me to try to do daily tooth care to try to preserve the teeth he has left, but he did say that it is probably likely that Griffin will lose more teeth as he ages. I am worried about Bastian now (they are littermates); at their check up last month, the vet said Bastian does have some teeth issues, but he was hopeful I can get it under control with home care. He reiterated that today, and told me to really stick with it for a month and then bring the boys in, and he will check on our progress for no charge.

So I will have to work on finding a way to get their toothpaste on their teeth every day. (Vet told me that brushing isn't absolutely necessary, and that if I can start by just applying some toothpaste with my finger that it should help.) I am also trying to calm my husband down after I told him how much the vet bill was - he about had a stroke.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He will be on strictly wet food until he is all healed up. He has a liquid pain medicine that I have to squirt on his gums twice a day, and clavamox tablets that I have to give him twice a day. Not sure how the tablets are going to go - I've never had to pill him before, and I am nervous about trying to get it down his throat without hurting his poor mouth. I'm going to offer him a little wet food now, let that settle awhile if he eats, and then give it a try.
Hi Nina... I always get clavamox injections rather than pills - they are subQ injections, easy to give, much easier on their little sore mouths and their little tummies - Just get pre-filled syringes from your vet and you will have no problem giving it to him

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I felt so bad for Griffin last night. He tried to eat his wet food, but after a few bites he acted like he was choking or something and was slobbering all down the front of himself. Then he acted like he was scared and wouldn't eat anymore.
He did much better eating this morning though - he ate most of his plate of food, and while it was a little bit messy around his mouth he didn't seem bothered by anything.

I was nervous about giving him the clavamox tablets, but he is swallowing those with no problem. It is the liquid pain med that is a struggle. I have basically been just seperating his lips on either side and trying to squirt it on his rear gums, because he will NOT sit still with his mouth open, even wrapped up in a towel. It went better this morning than it did last night though.

Thanks again for your replies!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Nina, I am not sure if the vet explained to you, the kitty doesn't need to swallow the pain meds - it gets absorbed on the cheeks or the gums, so really, no problem. The best way I found to give, is to just pull a little of the gum, and squirt it on the side of the mouth - you don't want to shoot it on the back of the throat anyways - it gets destroyed by stomach acid.... so what you are doing is fine - no worries.... quick squirt, done.
Yep, the first day is awful.... They look like they have been hit by a truck, right? But they do bounce back rather quickly! Bugsy was on wet food exclusively for 2 solid weeks, then he was fine.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hi Nina, I am not sure if the vet explained to you, the kitty doesn't need to swallow the pain meds - it gets absorbed on the cheeks or the gums, so really, no problem. The best way I found to give, is to just pull a little of the gum, and squirt it on the side of the mouth - you don't want to shoot it on the back of the throat anyways - it gets destroyed by stomach acid.... so what you are doing is fine - no worries.... quick squirt, done.
Yep, the first day is awful.... They look like they have been hit by a truck, right? But they do bounce back rather quickly! Bugsy was on wet food exclusively for 2 solid weeks, then he was fine.
Yes, I knew he wasn't supposed to swallow it, but it is still difficult to get it in the right place when he is trying to thrash around!
He is getting better about it now though - or maybe I am just feeling more confident about it so I can get it done faster! Thanks for the vibes.