Grieving Female Cat

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday We had to say goodbye to our 21 yr old male cat. He and our female cat have been together most of their lives. My question is what should I do now? Obviously our female kitty is grieving over him. Should we get another male cat whether it is a kitten or older cat or what would be the best road to take for her?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday We had to say goodbye to our 21 yr old male cat. He and our female cat have been together most of their lives. My question is what should I do now? Obviously our female kitty is grieving over him. Should we get another male cat whether it is a kitten or older cat or what would be the best road to take for her?
Im NOT sure how to answer that question at the moment..cause I just saw ure post...But I do want to say im so very sorry for ure loss of ure kitty..:alright:.MAY HE RIP...SWEET KITTY:catlove:AND HOPE URE OTHER KITTY THAT IS MISSING HIM...GETS ALONG OK...:petcat:

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. :( I do think adding another cat at this time will add to her stress. If your girl is on the older side herself, she also may not appreciate having another cat around in general, especially if it's a younger, more active one. I don't have any experience with cat grief but I think letting her grief run its course is probably for the best.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

tassie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss :( 21 years, you gave him a good life :)

We had this and our particular female was grieving for 2-3 months. Strange behaviour that was very out of sorts so you need to keep her close and not get another one yet and judge what she wants. We did introduce a cat after this time and they have become best of pals but all kitties are different and you will know her best

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sincerely sorry for your loss. 21 years is a long time for a cat, yet still too short for us humans. Obviously you gave him the good life you possibly could. Please hang in there.

Allow your other cat to grieve for the time being. And allow yourself to grieve as well. His passing obviously have impacted your female cat, so another cat may stress her more, as what others commented above.

Are your cats the same age? Poor baby, animals also mourn. I cannot imagine how she and you may be feeling right now.

Sending my thoughts and warm hugs to you both.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, now is the time to grieve together. I am so very sorry for your loss, I know how empty your house seems now without your sweet boy in it. Time is the only thing that helps, just get through one day at a time....
A twenty one year old cat needs lots of extra attention and comforting at a time like this, it takes weeks befor things start to get a little better, just like a mama that has had her kittens disappear to different homes. A new cat at a time like this would add to her stress, she needs quiet and you. I pray you all will find peace in your hearts from knowing your sweet boy is safe and is at peace himself because he holds your love in his heart. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The incredibe bond of love you all share can never be broken, "Death cannot take that which never dies"......give that precious old girl a kiss from me, and tell her she is held in the hearts of many now. My prayers are wityh you......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im NOT sure how to answer that question at the moment..cause I just saw ure post...But I do want to say im so very sorry for ure loss of ure kitty..:alright:.MAY HE RIP...SWEET KITTY:catlove:AND HOPE URE OTHER KITTY THAT IS MISSING HIM...GETS ALONG OK...:petcat:
Thank you

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, now is the time to grieve together. I am so very sorry for your loss, I know how empty your house seems now without your sweet boy in it. Time is the only thing that helps, just get through one day at a time....
A twenty one year old cat needs lots of extra attention and comforting at a time like this, it takes weeks befor things start to get a little better, just like a mama that has had her kittens disappear to different homes. A new cat at a time like this would add to her stress, she needs quiet and you. I pray you all will find peace in your hearts from knowing your sweet boy is safe and is at peace himself because he holds your love in his heart. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The incredibe bond of love you all share can never be broken, "Death cannot take that which never dies"......give that precious old girl a kiss from me, and tell her she is held in the hearts of many now. My prayers are wityh you......
Thank you so much for the response. I truly believe That we will see him in heaven one day along with our other pets.

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8093EC8F-5889-4A8A-81C7-CACC2A334147.jpeg

Thank you so much for the response. I truly believe That we will see him in heaven one day along with our other pets.
Her little face tells it all

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sincerely sorry for your loss. 21 years is a long time for a cat, yet still too short for us humans. Obviously you gave him the good life you possibly could. Please hang in there.

Allow your other cat to grieve for the time being. And allow yourself to grieve as well. His passing obviously have impacted your female cat, so another cat may stress her more, as what others commented above.

Are your cats the same age? Poor baby, animals also mourn. I cannot imagine how she and you may be feeling right now.

Thank you so much!

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The female cat Gizmo is about 15 yrs old

Cpshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. If your girl is a senior the kindest thing that you could do is to let her live out the remainder of her life as the only cat. Newcomers just disrupt their routine and can stress them out.
That seems like a good idea. She is 15 yrs old