Grieving cat

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys.

I had 3 cats and I posted here recently about one being diagnosed with aggressive cancer. I ended up having to euthanize him about 2 weeks ago.I now have my 2 other cats and one seems to be grieving possibly. I’ve never dealt with this before because my trio of cats were my first pets I owned myself in adulthood so his passing I knew would be hard for me but I didn’t consider my other 2. I guess I’m shocked because when he was alive, she was very mean to him/ would fight him and didn’t like his company etc.

I’m assuming she’s grieving because ever since I put him to sleep she’s either hiding in the garage all day in one spot, or when she comes in she curls up in a spot in the house she never sat before. She also aimlessly paces around too like she can’t rest. My question is what can I do for her? Will this just take time? I feel bad for her because she seems depressed

thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - most people will say it just takes time, which is true (unless there's a health issue going on), however the transition can be made a little easier, especially if the cats didn't have a chance to see/smell the body, with things like Cat Music and extra love. There's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and spotify and other sources have harp music for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - most people will say it just takes time, which is true (unless there's a health issue going on), however the transition can be made a little easier, especially if the cats didn't have a chance to see/smell the body, with things like Cat Music and extra love. There's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and spotify and other sources have harp music for cats.
Thanks so much I will try those out. My go to idea was just extra treats and to sit with her more but I didn’t think of music

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes, cats can grieve friends even if they were bullies. Nobel grieved Lily very hard. She bullied him.

Lots of extra attention, high reward treats. I kept a closer eye on his eating and litter habits. I also used cat calming music and Feliway.