Grieving Cat

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughters cat died Thursday night and my other cat, Littlefoot, is grieving. I have heard that we should not make any changes until he is back to normal. We are moving tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can help him through the changes.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not unusual for a surviving cat to grieve. Moving might add some more trauma as cats don't like change. Be sure to keep your cat in a situation where it can't escape. I have heard of cats who try to go back to their old home. Do you have a pet bed or anything that might have the smell of the deceased cat still on it. That might help your cat. I am sure you are already showing the cat extra love. It just takes time for them just like it does for us.
I hope the move goes well.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above, but also if you can get some Rescue Remedy it will help with the added stress. If your not familiar with it, it's a flower essence & can be found at a natural food store, or some where like a Whole Foods. Another idea is a calming collar. that would probably be a good idea. I have seen them at Petco, & I think others have seen them at Pet Smart. You can always call them to see if they have them first, to save yourself from running around town.
 Good luck with everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The move went great. It took less then 24 hours for the cats to settle in and they seem to love it here. We went from a 1250 sq ft to a 2840 sq ft house. This one is also 2 stories. They love the stairs and running through the house. lol. The blankets with the "home" smell did wonders for them. Thank you

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it. A cat is very much a creature of habit and a lover of safe home environments, but when you moved, you brought a lot of that safe home environment with you--yourself, your furniture, and your cat's things.

Cats do hate change, and loss of a loved one is among the worst changes in the world. But time heals, and it seems your cat is well on the way back to equilibrium.