Grieving And Vomiting?

MRK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to this forum and decided to join, because I see there are many caring members that are helping each other.

Just two days ago, I had to go through the painful decision to let my kitty Sadie Blue go, as her prognosis with kidney failure was not good at all. She was 15 and was one of those cats that eat too fast and regurgitate the food, it was happening almost every day but the Vet assured me it was normal in some cats. I can not even imagine how many messes I cleaned up over the years, but it was OK.

I have another cat Kia, that is 11 yrs old. Never had a problem in her life, other than being overweight (17 lbs), she doesn't eat much but she is not very active, although I try to make her play.

For the last two days since Sadie is gone, she has been acting normal IMHO, not crying or looking for her, not overly "clingy". She has been eating, drinking and using the litter box as normal, till this morning when she threw up all her food, first time in all her life.

Could it be related to the circumstances, stress or anxiety that is affecting her? She only eats dry food and drinks plenty of water. The only thing I changed is that I took the food dispenser that both cats used to clean it, and put a smaller dish for her food.

Any input will be appreciated. I am just freaking out that sometime is wrong with Kia as well.
TIA

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi MRK, I'm very sorry to hear about Sadie Blue. Her loss must be hard on you and Kia.

Vomiting in cats is not by itself indicative of a specific condition. Kia's vomiting could be due to something innocent like a hairball or eating too fast, but it could also be something else. Are you sure that this is the first time she has vomited? Is it possible that Kia has been vomiting for some time, but you just saw the mess and assumed it was Sadie's?

For now I would keep an eye on her. It could be a one time thing. If it turns out she is vomiting more frequently (it is vomiting and not regurgitation, right?) then that would warrant a trip to the vet.

Wishing you and Kia all the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi MRK, I'm very sorry to hear about Sadie Blue. Her loss must be hard on you and Kia.

Vomiting in cats is not by itself indicative of a specific condition. Kia's vomiting could be due to something innocent like a hairball or eating too fast, but it could also be something else. Are you sure that this is the first time she has vomited? Is it possible that Kia has been vomiting for some time, but you just saw the mess and assumed it was Sadie's?

For now I would keep an eye on her. It could be a one time thing. If it turns out she is vomiting more frequently (it is vomiting and not regurgitation, right?) then that would warrant a trip to the vet.

Wishing you and Kia all the best.
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I am positive Kia didn't vomit before during the day, Sadie was loud (so I knew it was going to happen), and it did normally right after eating. During the night of course I couldn't say, I found the mess in the morning.

What she brought up today was not digested, but was not "formed" either. A few minutes afterwards she went to eat again, but I removed the food and made her wait a little longer. When I put food down again I only put a few kibbles and she ate olyn a couple of them.
I already had decided to take her to the Vet in a few days for a total check up, as I do not want any more surprises like with Sadie. I need to wait because the trip to the Vet is always a fight for her, and I do not want to put her through more stress, if not absolutely necessary.