Grey fur turning brown?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, John's dad's cat lives with John and I. We pretty much think of her as our own now. Anyway, she is solid grey (or blue, or whatever the proper term is). I've noticed the past few months that the fur on her sides are turning to a rusty brown color. I thought that maybe she was just dirty since I was told she had only ever had one bath in her life, but after a bath and several baths with baby wipes, the rusty color is still there. She is approximately 6-7 years old but no one really remembers, she's definitely not any younger than 6 but could be older. Could it just be that she's getting older?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's probably just her aging. Wickett's color has changed quite a bit and he's only 3! As a very small kitten he was chocolate with black points. At about 6 months her went all black and about a year ago I noticed his arm pits are going grey. I mentioned to the vet and he said it's only going to turn more grey as he ages and I have noticed the grey patches slowely getting bigger.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be from washing herself. I know that white cats can turn yellow when grooming a lot over time. That might be part of the problem.

Or its from the cat sitting in the sun for long periods of time (does this cat go outside in direct sunlight?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Could be from washing herself. I know that white cats can turn yellow when grooming a lot over time. That might be part of the problem.

Or its from the cat sitting in the sun for long periods of time (does this cat go outside in direct sunlight?)
She doesn't ever go outside, so it's not from sunlight. It could be from grooming though, I never though of that.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, aging. We had a blue-gray cat... instead of going gray, his hair turned rust-colored in places as he got old.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chloe's fur is changing too, but she is only 4 months old. A month ago, she was a dilute tortie (with white on her chest), the peachy parts were very well blended with the grey. Now, the peach on her back is fading and she's becoming more grey.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one that was that dark grey/blue colour and she definately turned a brown/rust colour as she got older. I wouldn't be worried at all

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So strange... suddenly some of the fur on my 5 month old blue Scottish Fold is turn brown... under her neck and on the inside of her legs. Why do you think this is happening? Ugh, she's such a perfect color, I don't want her to change! 

severander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My grey cat started turning brown on her back. She is having kidney shut down problems. have your cat checked out immediately. I didn't know what it ment and now she is extremely sick.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My grey cat started turning brown on her back. She is having kidney shut down problems. have your cat checked out immediately. I didn't know what it ment and now she is extremely sick.
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wavey: I'm sure you didn't notice that this thread is over 9 years old and the members who were posting before will probably not see your post. If you want to share about your own cat it would be a good idea to start a new thread. That way more people will see your post and respond to you instead of to the OP of this thread.