Greetings From Maine

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Afternoon Everyone!

I'm an experienced breeder in Maine and I've been trying to start a reputable breedery (hobby-size) for CFA certified Maine coons. I'm having difficulty finding other breeders willing to sell certified Maine coons with breeding rights. I've asked several local catteries in my area but none of them sell with breeding rights. I have about 10 years experience breeding Chinese Shar Pei dogs and I've always had several dogs and cats as beloved members of my family.

I purchased my first CFA certified purebred Maine coon about 3 years ago. I've always been a big fan of cats, offering unconditional friendship, being low maintenance compared to dogs, intelligent, playful, and of course adorable. Now I have a CFA registered Queen with breeding rights and a CFA registered male, also with breeding rights. I purchased the male with the intention of breeding with the female, but unfortunately, the cattery sold me a male kitten with Cryptorchidism, so he wasn't suitable for breeding and I had to get him fixed. (Yes, I paid extra for breeding rights, despite never being able to use them--perhaps partly my fault for not checking to make sure the kitten's testicles had discended before purchasing.)

I've been wanting to start a small cattery breeding Maine coons for many years. I absolutely love the Maine Coon breed with their large sizes, exotic lynx tips, and dog-like personalities (yes, they follow me around the house aren't afraid of water!). I enjoy the sense of satisfication I get when I know a pet I sold is going to a good family, because it'll undoubtedly bring that family a profound sense of joy and friendship for many years.

I had my Queen HCM tested last year and her test results were N/N. I intend to be a responsible breeder, only breeding about once a year after vertinerary checkups to ensure the cats remain healthy. I also intend to ensure all Queens and Sires are HCM negative, and have also been tested for SMA and PK Deficiency.

I don't do social media so I'll just put a website up when I get started. I did some web design in college and programming is fairly simple so I don't anticipate any problems there. I'll have the standard questionnaires in an effort to ensure they go to good homes and the typical contracts to ensure all kittens sold are fixed within a certain period of time.

I've begun contacting catteries across the country in an effort to find one willing to sell with breeding rights. So far I've only found one cattery, but they are TICA certified, not CFA certified. The only way that would work is if it's possible to transfer certification from TICA to CFA or vice versa. I'll probably need to contact the organization(s) to find out. Their price was $2500 plus shipping (roughly $500), plus first pick from first registered litter (estimate value ~$1000). So the end price would be roughly $4,000 for one cat with breeding rights. That is an expensive offer, but it'll be worth it if I find a way to have both certified under the same organization so the kittens can also be certified.

I'm posting here primarily for two reasons. First, I'm hoping I might find some friendly community members willing to offer pointers or advice on getting started. Second, I'm wondering if anyone who reads this would be willing to sell any certified Maine coons with breeding rights. I'm determined to do it so it'll happen with or without your guidance or support, so please don't post merely to try and discourage me. I'll purchase registered Maine coons with breeding rights even if it means I need to fly to Italy to find them.

I understand many catteries are rightly concerned about ethics and competition. I have only the best intentions and will hold my cattery to the highest standards for ethical breeding and care. I don't have any intention to be a large cattery so competition shouldn't be a concern for anyone.

Thank you in advance for your kind replies.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! I am glad to hear you are taking all the right steps to breed ethically. I believe MistyDawn MistyDawn is also looking toward the same goal right now. You two might be able to help each other out in that regard.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can be registered in both associations as long as you provided the required pedigree. If possible visit some shows to meet other breeders. The CFA has the International show in October in Cleveland. There will be 1000 Cats there and they are benched according to breed so it would be easy to see the Maine Coons.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! Maine Coons are a lovely breed. It sounds like you’re doing everything right in regards to health screening, size, etc..

Posiepurrs’ suggestion to go to the international show is an excellent one. There you’ll be able to meet many breeders and the ones at the international show are some of the best around.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normally no problem to register a TICA registered Maine Coon in CFA or vice versa.

At this point I would suggest that you focus on going to shows and meeting other Maine Coon breeders. I would not recommend buying cats from just anyone who is willing to sell breeder cats. Take your time, learn the breed standards, study pedigrees, get an idea of what you want to focus on in your breeding program. If you develop relationships with other breeders, demonstrate that you are willing and able to groom and show your cats, and that you are sincerely interested in breeding quality Maine Coons (not just producing pets for sale), you will have no trouble finding breeders willing to help you and place cats with you.

TICA show schedule
Cat Shows - Official TICA Show Calendar

CFA show schedule
CFA Show Calendar

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You don't necessarily have to have your own stud to get your cattery started. Have you talked to any of the breeders about stud services for your queen?

If you can get to it, the CFA International show would definitely be a good place to meet other breeders and see their cats in person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I explored the possibility of stud service once before, but the women I talked to wanted to dictate and control every aspect of arrangement, right down to what I do with all of the kittens. She even had about 10 page contract she wanted me to sign spelling out every detail of the arrangement. She required I sell them all as pets and for a specific price and at a specific time of her choosing. The deal breaker for me was that I wanted the option of keeping at least one of the kittens, with breeding rights.

Stud service without the option to keep any of the kittens my Queen produces wouldn't help my situation at all, as the goal is start my own small cattery, not just to make money.

I'd also be very apprehensive about sending my girl any where out of state for stud service because as a member of my family, I care a great deal about her. It'd be a giant leap of faith to trust her to a virtual stranger's care, especially if I can't simply get in the car and drive down to get her.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Why in the world would someone want to breed only pet cats? That seems to be contrary to everything the CFA breeding program stands for. I would run far and fast from that breeder.

Keep looking for someone else with a more reasonable contract for stud service. How old is your queen? If she's already mature you'll want to breed her before she goes through too many heat cycles.

Do you have a mentor in CFA? If not, check out the Mentoring Program.

In the meantime, start going to as many shows as you can, either as an exhibitor or a spectator. You may have to do a bit of traveling, depending on where in Maine you're located. There are quite a few shows along the east coast, but mostly further south. The idea is that you can get to know other owners and breeders and start developing relationships.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you PM me, I can tell you a couple of USA breeders that sell breeding rights, but outside them, you usually have to go through Eastern Europeans. I'm keeping my peepers out for my second male in the European front. I can give you a guide to determining the legitimacy and ethics of European breeders from afar as well.

Alaska (11 months, 75% Russian) and Diamond (3 months, 100% Russian) say "Welcome!"

20180523_142202.jpg
20180711_003056.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you do not have to go through Europeans. There are lots of wonderful Maine Coon breeders in the US willing to work with others, help and mentor new breeders, provide stud service and sell breeding kittens... all you have to do is develop relationships with them.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure where in Maine you are but my cat club, New England Meow Outfit (NEMO) is having our show the last weekend in August in Sturbridge, Ma. There will most likely be some Maine Coons entered. We don’t have a member who works with that breed but our show is popular so I expect some to be there.

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a full-time electrical engineer and unfortunately I don't have enough vacation available to travel to attend shows. The only shows I'd be able to attend are ones within driving distance and on weekends. I do like the idea of showing my cats and someday competing for championships to add prestige to my cattery, but I'll probably have to be content with lots of photography for the foreseeable future.

My queen is about 3 years old and goes in heat often. Are there any health risks associated with allowing a Queen to go through too many heat cycles without being bred?

She gets lots of attention and I take her outside on the leash & harness almost every day. Here's a few pictures of her:

Here's a few pictures of my CFA registered male from when he was a kitten. He's the one I had to get fixed. These pictures are from when he was a kitten. He's a big boy, almost 24 lbs now.

The pictures of the cats outside were just for the lighting. I don't allow any of my cats to roam free outdoors. You may notice the soft paws. I think declawing is cruel so I use these safe little plastic caps that temporarily glue over their claws so they can't scratch furniture.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My queen is about 3 years old and goes in heat often. Are there any health risks associated with allowing a Queen to go through too many heat cycles without being bred?
It's not a good idea to let her go too long without breeding her. With repeated heat cycles, the risk of pyometra (uterine infection) increases significantly.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not a good idea to let her go too long without breeding her. With repeated heat cycles, the risk of pyometra (uterine infection) increases significantly.
Pyometra isn’t the only risk. She could develop cysts and become sterile. Pyometra is far more dangerous though since it can be lethal.
:yeah: Which is why I suggested trying a stud service now instead of waiting until you can get your own breeding male.

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would do stud service in a heart beat if there were any within driving distance willing to do it. I'm working diligently to find a kitten to purchase with breeding rights though.

I'll also schedule another checkup right away to have the veterinary check her for any signs of Pyometra. I researched it briefly online and found it is usually associated with the cat becoming ill. The good news is my girl shows no signs of being ill, she appears as healthy and active as ever, and there are no signs of discharge coming from her.

I've reached out to a few more catteries and I've also sent an email to CFA requesting information on how to get a TICA certifed Maine coon CFA certified.

Thank you all very much for your continued support. It's great to have a community like this around.

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my girl to the veterinarian today for a checkup. The vet said she looks great and there are no signs of Pyometra (no cysts or elevated temperature, etc) or any other problems. I told them I don't expect to be able to breed her until sometime early next year and they said they don't anticipate any problems because she's already had one litter and she's still young.

I believe I found a cattery to buy a male with breeding rights from. The price will be about $2,900 (which includes shipping)+cost for the HCM, SMA, and PK deficiency tests I want done.

Last edited:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pyometra is a killer. Glad she doesn't have it. It is a dreadful disease. I've had came into the rescue with it so far. One only needed a regular spay. One was so bad that we spent 3 grand to save her. She ended up staying with us.