Greenies pill pockets without chicken

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Norma Jean is allergic to chicken but needs that pill pocket for her hyperthyroid drug. Any suggestions please?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get gelatin capsules, put pill inside and sneak it into her food. Or you can grind up the pill if it doesn’t fit and repackage into a gelatin capsule (you can get the capsule in different sizes). I ordered mine online as I live in nowheresville from “vet approved rx”

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hoping Greenies pill pockets made other flavors besides chicken. Very disappointing.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed. And not only that but they advertise salmon AND TUNA but where in the ingredients is the Tuna??????

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you can try what they call pill masker - the one I bought does not indicate there is any chicken in it. It works similarly to pill pockets, except you 'form' the 'pocket' around the meds. Here is the one I got.
TOMLYN Pill-Masker, 4-oz jar - Chewy.com
Thank you Feeby's Owner:
I think I have found a simple solution to my problem. Today I decided to wrap my tiny cat pill into a same size piece of butter as a pill pocket and covered it up into a "butterball" and voila! she ate it right up with the rest of her meal. I am so relieved because she has gone back to vigorously scratching herself from being allergic to chicken and now I hope I have found the answer to her problem.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
…I smell a nickname coming on! :) (You may have noticed our “nicknames for cats” thread).

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
PS: MARS, Inc, the parent company of these pill pockets, emailed me to take a survey and comment on their pill pockets. I emphatically encouraged them to have a line of “limited ingredient pill pockets” for cats with allergies or IBS. It occurred to me that I would probably eat any pill if it were stuck inside an almond Mars bar, so, maybe I am not so different than a cat.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent idea Margot. But do they really care?????

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Greenies used to have a LID Pill Pocket in a green pea and duck formula but that was discontinued in 2012. A later allergy version of Pill Pockets was discontinued in 2020.

As already mentioned, there are other brands of pill dough / pill wraps / pill maskers / etc that are chicken-free. TCS also has tips on how to give cats pills. Another option is to compound medicine into an easier to give form such as a flavored chew treat or a transdermal gel.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. A tiny bit of butter is the answer. Yippee!!