Greenies Dental Treats Making Cat Sick?

Royyll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I recently adopted my cat who is a year old spayed female. She is doing great with her regular food but when I give her the chicken Greenie treats she ends up having really soft poops that smell awful! I only feed her about 2-4 treats but every time it causes her stomach to get upset and result in nasty poops. I stopped giving her them for a while and she stopped having the loose poops I gave her a few today and she had another loose poop. Anyone else have this issue? Any substitution recommendations for dental treats?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd stop the Greenies, they really don't do anything for their teeth and they seem to disagree with her. There aren't any commercial treats that will help your cats teeth. In the wild, eating feathers, bones and chewing on meat clean debris off teeth and there really isn't a way to replicate that with modern commercial foods. They just don't have the chew, grit and texture to really do it and most cats barely chew commercial foods enough to do anything beneficial. You might be able to if you go the path of raw feeding but that does require a good amount of research.

Really, the most effective at home method of cat dental health is brushing your cats teeth with cat safe toothpaste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Royyll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd stop the Greenies, they really don't do anything for their teeth and they seem to disagree with her. There aren't any commercial treats that will help your cats teeth. In the wild, eating feathers, bones and chewing on meat clean debris off teeth and there really isn't a way to replicate that with modern commercial foods. They just don't have the chew, grit and texture to really do it and most cats barely chew commercial foods enough to do anything beneficial. You might be able to if you go the path of raw feeding but that does require a good amount of research.

Really, the most effective at home method of cat dental health is brushing your cats teeth with cat safe toothpaste.
Thank you so much for the advice! I’m definitely going to get rid of the Greenies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Royyll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please be very careful with greenies treats. I used to feed them to my cat until I read 1 star Amazon reviews. there are a lot of separate listings but here is one for example.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B071FH2NLX/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star
I would not give them to my cat anymore after reading these.
Thank you so much for the link! The one star reviews sound so much like what my cat was experiencing. I couldn’t believe it with how much praise I’ve heard from the brand. Definitely going to get rid of these treats. Thank you for sharing.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I am so glad to read this post because my cats definitely had soft poop after eating these. Definitely time for a different treat!

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am feeding these but do notice increase in pooping.
also think if it’s dry kibbles the cat needs to grind then feed very small amount of Acana dry food which is defiantly better in protein value than these dental treats.