Green line on cats belly?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My new cat Bond has a green line on his belly where he has also been shaved. Anyone know what this is?

20240318_143112.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ahhh, the exalted green line club. It's to indicate that the cat has been spayed or neutered. A lot of clinics do some sort of tattoo on the abdomen so that if someone else catches the cat and takes them to a different clinic they can tell they've already been altered without opening them up. They do a few different marks but the green line is the easiest and visible on different skin colors as a purposeful mark and not just skin color thing. While males they usually don't have to shave them to know, its generally done across the board to prevent issues. It's basically a subtle ear tipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah thank you that clears up my fears that he had a hernia or some sort of surgery. I'm glad they didn't crop his ears I know the reason they do it but it still feels a bit like mutilation in a way.

The tatoo is kind of bumpy like an incision site, i thought it was a stitch or surgical glue when I first saw it.

Bond was neutered a week ago and is still itchy in his nuts area i was told to keep an eye on it and tell the organization if there was any issue with it. But wasn't told about the tatoo, I was just petting him when I found it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One week for a tattoo to be raised and scabby is just about right. It should be healed right up and not feel like anything in another week (give or take a little). Both of my boys have the exact same mark and it's visible on both a white and black belly when those areas are shaved. I also wasn't told, I think because it's such a little thing really and don't the hair grows back you'd never know it was there. Ironically, my female who has not outward sign of being spayed is the one without a tattoo because she was spayed at our regular vet instead of a clinic and a lot of private vets don't do tattoos.

You can just make out Nightfurys tattoo this photo and he was neutered over 6 years before the photo was taken. His tummy was shaved for an ultrasound and I couldn't resist memorializing the bare tummy.

20200427_094638.jpg
Screenshot_20240318_193801_Photos.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet says she's going to start doing tattoos (well she said it last time I was in, so maybe she's doing it already) because she's "re-spayed" too many cats. But yeah it does seem silly to do it to males, lol, but I guess as long as they're out you might as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
One week for a tattoo to be raised and scabby is just about right. It should be healed right up and not feel like anything in another week (give or take a little). Both of my boys have the exact same mark and it's visible on both a white and black belly when those areas are shaved. I also wasn't told, I think because it's such a little thing really and don't the hair grows back you'd never know it was there. Ironically, my female who has not outward sign of being spayed is the one without a tattoo because she was spayed at our regular vet instead of a clinic and a lot of private vets don't do tattoos.

You can just make out Nightfurys tattoo this photo and he was neutered over 6 years before the photo was taken. His tummy was shaved for an ultrasound and I couldn't resist memorializing the bare tummy.

View attachment 472574View attachment 472575
Bond's tatoo looks exactly like that. He was squirmy when I took it (doesn't like to be held yet).

Kabuto had one in his ear but it was a circle with line.

The belly makes more sense though.

Bond was neutered sexualy mature (his pee still reeks) but he still looks like he has nuts, so did Kabuto.