Green Crust In Fur Around Nipple

Jesshaines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My kitty momma has 5 kittens, 12 days old today. I'm going a little crazy - first time cat grandma living on a tight budget, and a bit of a worrier by personality. So kitties eyes are just starting to open. One if the little ones, I can't tell if s/he has some discharge from eyes and eyes are swollen, or if it's just how they look at this stage. I have noticed sometimes there's a bit of greenish crusty stuff in mom's fur surrounding nipple - not coming from nipple itself. I'm wondering if one of little ones does have in infection and this is pus rubbing off on queens fur. Did a few Google searches about this and didn't see anything that relates. If they need a trip to vet, I'll do it, but oh man, it will be a big hit for me now and don't want to overreact. Yes she's getting fixed as soon as she's able.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart! Can you get a picture of the green crust and send that in to a vet and then talk to them?
Also take a smooth (not nubby or rough) warmish, dampish cloth, --not a baby wipe those are bad, hold it on the eye crust to soften it and see if you can eventually wipe it off. Eye crust that ''glues" the eye shut can really be bad news for the tiny ones.
I know kittens aren't supposed to be touched but hopefully mama won't get bothered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesshaines

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - that is good idea to take picture. I will do that. I made an appointment today for vet (and it's not as expensive as my catastrophizing mind said it would be!) But they can't see me for one week. I will continue to wipe their eyes and monitor. Thank you for advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s fine to handle the kittens, and it sounds like a routine eye infection that many young kittens have upon opening their eyes.

It needs treating with a tube of terramycin antibiotic ointment, which is available over the counter in farm stores and online through farm stores and other stores.

It is smeared across the eyes 2-3 times a day, and infection clears quickly.

In the meantime, wipe the kitten’s eyes often so there is no pus or crust.

I suspect the green crust on mom is from the kitten’s eyes.