Great Danes

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I think the U.S. system is different. I'm pretty sure it just goes "Fair" "Good" and "Excellent" instead of using a numerical score.
In theory its pretty much the same as they xray the same points on the dog

An excellent in the US would be in the region of a score of 0-4 in Uk which is a low score and so on. I was just trying to explain the way it works and it works the same way in all countries its just scored differently as you've pointed out.

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Love danes and cannot wait to get another, but the boy is not so sure about a giant breed right now. I have grown up with them and have always loved them! None of ours were too keen on long walks very often! They preferred to be on the couch with us! LOL! But all of ours were very healthy and our last was PTS at age 11. He had a problem in his neck and the pain just got to be too much.
You may want to look into a swiss mnt dog or a working dog breed! A friend has a sheltie and she LOVES long walks!
Shelties are not as popular now over here as they used to be years ago so i'm not that very well up on them but funnily enough i meet 2 when i'm working and they really are a nice breed and when i'm too old to own a dane i would seriously consider them to own.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor has four shelties. Sometimes their son stays with them a few days and brings his. And last summer they bred their female who had three puppies (if you're counting that's seven shelties at one point). The breed is loud, it's what they're known for. They bark a lot and enjoy doing it, and they're just small enough of a breed that their bark takes on a slightly piercing tone that small dogs have.
The previous owner and renters in this house didn't like them, and the previous neighbor (west side of us, shelties are on the east) absolutely hated them and complained about them in conversation with us several times. The problem is that you cannot be out in our backyard, and before we put up a stockade fence the neighbors couldn't be out in their yard, without those dogs barking.

We're more tolerant of the dogs and have gotten friendly with them (sneaked them dog treats
) so that they're not making aggressive barks and so that they bark less. Others would not be so understanding, obviously.
One of their shelties is debarked. I do not know if they had it done or acquired the dog that way.

My point: The dogs are really nice, but seem to get bored easily. And are known for their bark which can be a problem with some neighbors. Don't put them out in the backyard by themselves if you live in a fairly active neighborhood with close neighbors unless you want your neighbors to hate you.

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My neighbor has four shelties. Sometimes their son stays with them a few days and brings his. And last summer they bred their female who had three puppies (if you're counting that's seven shelties at one point). The breed is loud, it's what they're known for. They bark a lot and enjoy doing it, and they're just small enough of a breed that their bark takes on a slightly piercing tone that small dogs have.
The previous owner and renters in this house didn't like them, and the previous neighbor (west side of us, shelties are on the east) absolutely hated them and complained about them in conversation with us several times. The problem is that you cannot be out in our backyard, and before we put up a stockade fence the neighbors couldn't be out in their yard, without those dogs barking.

We're more tolerant of the dogs and have gotten friendly with them (sneaked them dog treats
) so that they're not making aggressive barks and so that they bark less. Others would not be so understanding, obviously.
One of their shelties is debarked. I do not know if they had it done or acquired the dog that way.

My point: The dogs are really nice, but seem to get bored easily. And are known for their bark which can be a problem with some neighbors. Don't put them out in the backyard by themselves if you live in a fairly active neighborhood with close neighbors unless you want your neighbors to hate you.
Ahhh i didn't realise they were avid barking fans
not so good a breed for me then i like the danes because they rarely bark, i figure i'll go back to my plans to own a pug in retirement then

Thanks for that information you learn something new everyday!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they're far different than a big dog. That's one of the best things about bigger breeds. They don't feel as much need to bark.

That said, shelties are very intelligent. If kept inside more and engaged with the family they wouldn't be as bad. Now that it's colder the neighbors are keeping theirs inside more (fluffy wussy dogs, apparently
) than they do in the summer.

Last spring their tiny girl found a weak spot in the shared stockade fence (we're going to have to fix that whole fence ourselves, btw, I know the neighbors won't
) and slipped herself through a hole that you'd think would barely be big enough for a cat to fit through.
Luckily we'd given them treats before so I was able to get her to come to me once I sat down in my driveway. (timid dog, the breed really shouldn't be) We scooped her up and went to take her home - the neighbors were gone, of course, so we had to put her over the gate in back. Then we went along the fence to check for all the spots she and the other three had been working at.
If you want an active dog that likes to "work" they would be a great fit, provided you gave one something to actually do with itself.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tillymoo

Ahhh i didn't realise they were avid barking fans
not so good a breed for me then i like the danes because they rarely bark, i figure i'll go back to my plans to own a pug in retirement then

Thanks for that information you learn something new everyday!
Any herding breed is not a good idea for inactive people! LOL! A friend breeds them and had 12 at one point last summer... that was fun...

The thing about danes, if they decide to bark, its gonna shake the house! LOL!

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Any herding breed is not a good idea for inactive people! LOL! A friend breeds them and had 12 at one point last summer... that was fun...

The thing about danes, if they decide to bark, its gonna shake the house! LOL!
lol the dane we have now i think i've only heard bark once and that was when he stuck his head too close to the hamster cage and it bit him!
And the previous ones only barked at me for attention they were useless guard dogs...
This was my old girl Dolly spent too much time dressing up, we even got burgled once and i doubt she came downstairs and off my bed